New Galops

Pattjunior

Location (City and/or State)
Cape Coral, Florida
Say hi to the newest members out our family, Jack and Jill. In the coming months I will be building a large out door enclosure for these and my Burmese stars when they are ready. I am also going to be looking to get a couple more galop babies to mix up the blood line. If you guys know of some florida breeders I’d love to have there contact info to reach out.

Thank you all.

Attachments

• C029A33A-3A1F-4962-AD29-D65A0444E675.jpeg
    C029A33A-3A1F-4962-AD29-D65A0444E675.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 8B900E97-2CDA-4EAB-B63D-7AA45CC296D7.jpeg
    8B900E97-2CDA-4EAB-B63D-7AA45CC296D7.jpeg
    1,019.9 KB · Views: 25
  • EDD759ED-550E-4C04-B5AD-A1F87C4B318F.jpeg
    EDD759ED-550E-4C04-B5AD-A1F87C4B318F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28

zovick

10 Year Member!
Say hi to the newest members out our family, Jack and Jill. In the coming months I will be building a large out door enclosure for these and my Burmese stars when they are ready. I am also going to be looking to get a couple more galop babies to mix up the blood line. If you guys know of some florida breeders I’d love to have there contact info to reach out.

Thank you all.
There are a couple of breeders in FL. Who is the breeder of the ones you already have? Knowing that will prevent me giving you the info for someone you already know.

Pattjunior

Cape Coral, Florida
I
There are a couple of breeders in FL. Who is the breeder of the ones you already have? Knowing that will prevent me giving you the info for someone you already know.
My 3 have come from Jerry, I know Jason Abels breeds them I reached out to him on instagram just waiting for a reply.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Just out of curiosity, what is the average cost of a baby from a breeder? Just a ball park figure?

zovick

10 Year Member!
I

My 3 have come from Jerry, I know Jason Abels breeds them I reached out to him on instagram just waiting for a reply.
I will make inquiries of some people I know in FL who may have additional babies. If I get any positive responses, I will send you a PM rather than post their info on the public forum.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Thank you all.
Awesome. They look great! Start planting lots and lots of opuntia pads and grass now. You are gonna need it!

Pattjunior

Cape Coral, Florida
Awesome. They look great! Start planting lots and lots of opuntia pads and grass now. You are gonna need it!
I know!!! 😂😂😂 I cleared out a spot on my property to start some temporarily. Once I get their enclosure cleared out there will be mor permanent stuff going in around it.

Reactions: Tom

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very nice, happy for you. Do you know for sure it's a Jack and a Jill? I know some breeders will surgically sex the more expensive breeds. However, I have never seen anyone advertise Aldabra, Rad or Gallops as surgically sexed.

Pattjunior

Cape Coral, Florida
Very nice, happy for you. Do you know for sure it's a Jack and a Jill? I know some breeders will surgically sex the more expensive breeds. However, I have never seen anyone advertise Aldabra, Rad or Gallops as surgically sexed.
Not for sure, I spoke with Amber over in California and she said that at around 500 grams they are hardy enough to get them scoped. So we will wait it out just trying to pick up as many babied right now before they hit the 5 figures.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Just FYI, I advertised and sold surgically sexed Radiated Tortoise babies from 2008 to 2019 when I stopped breeding the species. Once I started selling sexed babies, a couple of other breeders began having their babies sexed as well in order to remain competitive in the marketplace.

Dr. Steve Divers at UGA literally "wrote the book" on endoscopic sex determination in chelonians. He will not sex Radiated Tortoises until they are 10 months of age and over 110 grams in weight. Not sure what his criteria would be for very young Galapagos Tortoises, although I know he scoped some fairly young ones for one of my friends years ago. I would think that 500 grams would be large enough for Dr. Divers to accept them for endoscopic sex determination at UGA, but to be sure of that, he would need to be asked directly.

Last edited:

OliveW

Branford, FL
Just out of curiosity, what is the average cost of a baby from a breeder? Just a ball park figure?

With everything in me, I hope the price for these beautiful and majestic creatures always stays sky high, even as more and more people get into breeding them.

It would be such a tragedy to see these going from one of the great wonders of the world, to roaming freely along the dirt backroads of Redneckville, FL, the way Sulcatas do now when they get too big for people to deal with.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
With everything in me, I hope the price for these beautiful and majestic creatures always stays sky high, even as more and more people get into breeding them.

It would be such a tragedy to see these going from one of the great wonders of the world, to roaming freely along the dirt backroads of Redneckville, FL, the way Sulcatas do now when they get too big for people to deal with.
I don't think that will ever happen. The Aldabra prices haven't dropped that I know of and you won't find them roaming the back roads and there is a lot of them out there. However, now that the Galaps have been showing up a lot more in the past year, or so, everyone seems to want them where before it was the Aldabra. Personally I'd rather have an Aldabra over a Galap any day. I don't like the eye goop the Galap always have lol.
Just hope the Galap boom doesn't have a negative affect on the Aldabras.

OliveW

Branford, FL
I don't think that will ever happen. The Aldabra prices haven't dropped that I know of and you won't find them roaming the back roads and there is a lot of them out there. However, now that the Galaps have been showing up a lot more in the past year, or so, everyone seems to want them where before it was the Aldabra. Personally I'd rather have an Aldabra over a Galap any day. I don't like the eye goop the Galap always have lol.
Just hope the Galap boom doesn't have a negative affect on the Aldabras.

I hope you're right! It's impossible to say what 20 or 30 years will bring, other than me being that much older and in all probability, no shape to care for vagabond Galapagos tortoises - a phrase I never expected to say! Galapagos tortoises are supposed to be sacred and may they always stay that way!

I suspect most current breeders are in it for love and respect of the species' but where there is money to be made, there will always be the "puppy mill" mentality people lurking in the shadows. I sincerely hope all the wonderful people who have worked so hard for this, will always stand their ground on price and never let it be a race to the bottom.

You wouldn't believe the variety of living things that have been ditched out here. Too many people seem to be under the impression that anything that's not human can just "return to the wild" when they're done with it. Literally everything from reptiles to livestock. Most recently three donkeys. 🤦‍♀️