New Greek Tort owner

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Thanks, smarch, there you are Dwayne and Mimi, a nice variety for you, hope you can get some of those in Malta, though most are unavailable here in Morocco. Good luck, you'll find something I'm sure.
Yeah ok I wasn't thinking on that one, I know spring mi overseas isn't even called "spring mix". so if my list is all fails there are people out there who know more about groceries outside the US.
You can also buy seed mixes of weeds to grow inside for food source I've been trying all winter to grow dandelions off seeds I got last summer, they're growing, slowly but they are.

And mazuri is a good now and then food or supplement to food... but my Franklin wont touch the stuff... I mean I guess I don't blame him since food in the wild didn't come in a weird green/brown mush ... and if it did it was probably not safe to eat lol

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
True , mine get the veggie peelings from the kitchen , & lately daily tops green parts of strawberries that we have from our farm , but I still spend a lot on lettuce
come summer I steal all sorts of green stuff from our garden.. I got yelled at for stealing cucumber and squash flowers lol, but the leaves for all of those help my spend no money on tort food during the summer plan

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yeah ok I wasn't thinking on that one, I know spring mi overseas isn't even called "spring mix". so if my list is all fails there are people out there who know more about groceries outside the US.
You can also buy seed mixes of weeds to grow inside for food source I've been trying all winter to grow dandelions off seeds I got last summer, they're growing, slowly but they are.

And mazuri is a good now and then food or supplement to food... but my Franklin wont touch the stuff... I mean I guess I don't blame him since food in the wild didn't come in a weird green/brown mush ... and if it did it was probably not safe to eat lol
Again, I don't think we get mazuri here. I have a supplement called Friskies Optimal by Purina which has Calcium, phosphorus, plant oils etc and Tidgy will eat it sometimes, especially if hidden with her other foods. she loves the smell, but will sometimes spit it out if it's too dry. You can buy it in Spain, Portugal, France and Italy, so hopefully in Malta too.
Before anyone panics, this is NOT cat food, but specially designed for herbivorous reptiles including tortoises. The pet company Purina deal with many animals in Europe, but I understand in the States it's primarily for dogs and cats.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Again, I don't think we get mazuri here. I have a supplement called Friskies Optimal by Purina which has Calcium, phosphorus, plant oils etc and Tidgy will eat it sometimes, especially if hidden with her other foods. she loves the smell, but will sometimes spit it out if it's too dry. You can buy it in Spain, Portugal, France and Italy, so hopefully in Malta too.
Before anyone panics, this is NOT cat food, but specially designed for herbivorous reptiles including tortoises. The pet company Purina deal with many animals in Europe, but I understand in the States it's primarily for dogs and cats.
yeah hearing purina in regards to tortoise supplement was weird, they definitely don't do that here! wouldn't it still be possible to buy Mazuri online and have it shipped? or is that not so cool with customs? In case its not obvious I'm unfamiliar with stuff like that, I've not yet ever ventured out of the US

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, Mazuri is distributed through Purina, so it may be the same product.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
yeah hearing purina in regards to tortoise supplement was weird, they definitely don't do that here! wouldn't it still be possible to buy Mazuri online and have it shipped? or is that not so cool with customs? In case its not obvious I'm unfamiliar with stuff like that, I've not yet ever ventured out of the US

Mazuri is made by Purina.

Dwayne_H

Sorry for the long absence everyone! I have another question on the bulbs i should use.. I was wondering if there are any alternatives to halogen lamps, they do the job when it comes to UV and heat emission but they are beasts when it comes to electric consumption. Is there anything more eco friendly, something which could possibly not cost me a fortune in electricity bills? Thanks