New Greek Tortoise owner

Warhawk

Hello, My son got a Greek tortoise so I'm here to get some info to make sure we take proper care of the little guy.

First thing is to build him a bigger house. The plastic tube is working for now but we know he will need something bigger for the long run.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum! (I'm sure you probably meant to say your tortoise was in a plastic TUB, not a tube. I had visions of a poor Greek tortoise trying to maneuver inside a hamster maze of tubes!!! LOL!)

Instead of thinking bigger, be thinking of a safe and attractive outdoor living space. Tortoises do quite well outside where they can get real sunshine.

We have a good care sheet pinned at the top of our Greek tortoise section here on the Forum.

Warhawk

You are right I was meaning a Tub not tube. Some times my fingers are faster than my eyes.

We have talked about a out door space for him but we live in Indiana and the winters are pretty cold so guessing he won't survive them. We could do a summer time back yard space but we still need something in side.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello and welcome. Tortoises need a lot of space, mine is also a Greek and she would get very pissy kept in a tub. they need a minimum of 3 foot by 5 or 6 foot indoors, but bigger is always better.
If he doesn't get sunshine, he must have uvb lighting, a mercury vapour bulb is best, so I've recently learned on this very forum.
Read the care sheets and enclosures sections here and don't be afraid to ask questions, the experts here are always happy to help and no one will think any questions are 'silly', it is important that we all learn and give the best possible life to our wonderful tortoises.
You and your son are about to find out the addictive, but sometimes difficult, joy of tortoise keeping, it is a lifestyle choice, not just a hobby, but worth every moment and dollar you spend in respect of the delight you will both have in rearing a happy, healthy tortoise.
We all love photos here, so post a couple when you can. You say it's a boy? What's his name?
Good luck to you all.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ. Greeks rule ! But Evan a week of outside life is great !

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hello. :) I hope this leads to some positive memory building times for you and your son. Welcome to the forum.