newbie constructing tortoise table

nyoom

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello all! I'm a newbie from Texas. I'm doing research for a tortoise table for a future baby golden greek tortoise. I'm probably going to build one out of a bookshelf, but I'm not sure how to waterproof it yet.

The little guy should be able to live outside for a portion of the year I think, and that's probably even desirable, but as we live in a semi-rural area I'm a little concerned about that. I probably won't attempt that until the baby is a bit bigger and I've had a chance to build something more sturdy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tables don't work well for babies. Its too hard to maintain the needed humidity and warmth with the open top.

Closed chambers work much better for little ones and it is much easier to maintain the correct conditions in a closed chamber too.

nyoom

Texas
Thanks for your welcome!

And really? So would a large aquarium or Tupperware bin work then? I'm perfectly happy to build/acquire whatever is needed. I just read that anything that retains moisture TOO well can cause shell rot or lung infections, which I assume would be devestating to a young baby.

I'll look up these closed chambers, then, this site has already been really helpful.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
WElcome to the Forum!

nyoom

Texas
Thanks so much for your welcome!

I've been reading a lot so far, and I'm not sure I have the space for one of these little guys. I was thinking I could get to 4x8' if I made it double-decker and then covered the whole thing with a portable greenhouse cover, but I really don't like the idea of going with the bare minimum. I may put off picking one up until the situation would be better for it.

I've kept frogs, fish, snakes, and geckos before, but tortoise care sounds really intimidating and involved in comparison.