New Greek Tortoise Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddybuddy

5 Year Member
I'm getting my first greek tortoise this Saturday. He's going to be 6 month old when we get him and I had a few things I was wondering about.
One of them is what should I feed him. Right now I live in Wisconsin and there's snow outside so I can't get food from outside at the momment, but when I can I was wondering what I can even get from outside.
In the winter I'm planning on feeding him
-Green leaf lettuce
-Yellow and green bell pepper
-Broccoli
-Collard greens
-Corn on the cob
-Endive
-Tomatoes
I was also planning on putting on calcium 'dust' every other day or twice a week. I was wondering which would be better for a 6 month greek tortoise...

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...if you type in the search tortoise forum, greek care sheet, you should find some answers. Or you can go to.....thetortoiselibrary.com

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
maddybuddy said:
I'm getting my first greek tortoise this Saturday. He's going to be 6 month old when we get him and I had a few things I was wondering about.
One of them is what should I feed him. Right now I live in Wisconsin and there's snow outside so I can't get food from outside at the momment, but when I can I was wondering what I can even get from outside.
In the winter I'm planning on feeding him
-Green leaf lettuce
-Yellow and green bell pepper
-Broccoli
-Collard greens
-Corn on the cob
-Endive
-Tomatoes
I was also planning on putting on calcium 'dust' every other day or twice a week. I was wondering which would be better for a 6 month greek tortoise...
Greek tortoises, regardless of subspecies, should be fed a diet that consists mainly of dark, leafy greens. This should be about 85% of their diet and should include, but not be limited to: Clover, dandelion, chicory, broad & narrow leaf plantain, sow thistle, lambsquarter, crown vetch and other weeds. When they are not available grocery store greens that can be fed are: Dandelion, chicory, endive, escarole, romaine, kale, mustard greens, beet greens, collard greens, carrot greens, green & red leaf lettuce, occasionally some spinach and some other greens.
The remainder of their diet can consist of the following vegetables but again not be limited to: Squashes, pumpkin, sweet potato, green & yellow beans, peas, carrots and occasionally some corn and other types of beans. Fruit should not be part of a Greek tortoises regular diet and do not need to be fed even occasionally for any reason.

I personally do not believe in coating a tortoise's food with calcium. It essentially forces them to consume it whether they need it at the time or not. Many of their foods are natural sources of calcium already. Instead, I keep it available to them 24/7 in the form of powdered (for smaller tortoises) or cuttlebone (for larger tortoises). I keep the powdered calcium in a small, shallow lid with the rim at ground level (as their water and food containers should be also). This allows the tortoise to consume calcium when they need it, as much as they need.

Status
Not open for further replies.