New growth colour

herriotfan

5 Year Member
I've got a baby cherryhead redfoot and I wonder if you can tell me the what colour her new shell growth should be.
Somebody who saw a photo on a facebook reptile forum seemed to think she's a marbled species.
If you could post some photos so I can compare I'd be very grateful.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
There's really no answer to this... it's a "wait-and-see" scenario. Some marble, some don't. A couple of mine took 2-3 years before they started marbling and I suspect it's genetic and genetics x environmental interactions (epigenetics) that may explain this.

New growth will look like very fine, white bands around each of the scutes. Most growth will turn black on redfoots.

Post up some pictures, we all love seeing tortoises!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Mine started marbling at around 5-6 months. It was funny bus being a nube I at first thought he was dirty (calcium powder in scute grooves) and when it wasn't coming off with soaking I was getting worried about him getting some shell disease. I'd get a magnifying glass and then try to scrub it off during his bath with soft bristle baby brush. I didn't know then about marbling. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1451777997.738814.jpg this was still at the the beginning ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1451778046.924064.jpg and this is now

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Mine started marbling at around 5-6 months. It was funny bus being a nube I at first thought he was dirty (calcium powder in scute grooves) and when it wasn't coming off with soaking I was getting worried about him getting some shell disease. I'd get a magnifying glass and then try to scrub it off during his bath with soft bristle baby brush. I didn't know then about marbling. View attachment 160819 this was still at the the beginning View attachment 160820 and this is now

Beautiful! Good clean growth! Cutie pie as well.

herriotfan

5 Year Member
Pearly, that's exactly how my Ruby looks!!
It's confirmed my suspicions that she has marbling.
Wow, I'm chuffed to bits. Love her so much and the marbling is a bonus.....

:):<3::<3::tort::tort::<3::<3::)

P.S I'm not clever enough to post photos or I would proudly show all my torties off!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Pearly, that's exactly how my Ruby looks!!
It's confirmed my suspicions that she has marbling.
Wow, I'm chuffed to bits. Love her so much and the marbling is a bonus.....

:):<3::<3::tort::tort::<3::<3::)

P.S I'm not clever enough to post photos or I would proudly show all my torties off!

A www! I'd love to see your pics!

I mostly use my iPhone which is the easiest/quickest for me. I post pictures that I take with this same device, no uploading/downloading, transfers or any of that mess.