New growth or shell rot?

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Please look at this and let me know if the whitish spots are new growth or shell rot? I hope I'm just being a paranoid new mommy. image.jpgimage.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Does the enclosure have a dry out area as well as wet/moist/humid? Those little white patches appear in this pic to be the onset of bacterial/shell rot.....I would suggest that you assure there is a dry out area in the enclosure....I also would use a soft bristle tooth brush, soak the tort for a bit, gently rub the toothbrush over the area....you can use a topical athletes foot cream on those patches for a week or so (see how the spots are responding) and see what all looks like then. It is important for a tortoise to be able to dry their shell out so the shell remains healthy....

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
I am working to set up a dry out area.

I did the first treatment on little Rowan's plastron. Thanks for the advice.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
If what ascott suggested doesn't work, you an always go to a herpatlogist and get cream for a few dollar a bottle.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
The spots seem to be gone this morning. I still applied more cream. I know that bacteria and fungi go through cycles and seem to disappear but are actually dormant.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
image.jpg Here's the plastron after a week of treatment.