New guy, found a tortoise!

Vectrex

Location (City and/or State)
Fl
Hello everyone,

I just found a tortoise in the middle of a busy street. Can anyone help me identify the breed? I am on my way to the pet store to buy food, a heat lamp, and a temporary enclosure as I assume it would be better to build some sort of habitat outside. What else should I buy? I have never had a tortoise before but my kids seem to love it.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• D7D18BDE-EC07-4D00-97CF-BC677E542AC5.jpeg
    D7D18BDE-EC07-4D00-97CF-BC677E542AC5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 520D4DEC-8DAB-4FF4-AF18-A8E7E3B8C0F2.jpeg
    520D4DEC-8DAB-4FF4-AF18-A8E7E3B8C0F2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 92E7E55D-2EFC-4DBC-8831-1F16993C6CBD.jpeg
    92E7E55D-2EFC-4DBC-8831-1F16993C6CBD.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is a box turtle. Probably native. Best to re-release it somewhere near where you found it, but in a safer area.

If you want a tortoise, we can help you find a suitable healthy captive bred tortoise.

zovick

10 Year Member!
If that is the case, I will release it. I don’t want to take it out of its habitat. You learn something new everyday. I didn’t know these were native to Florida.
Yes, that appears to be a Florida Box Turtle (Terrapene carolina bauri). They are definitely a native FL species.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hello everyone,

I just found a tortoise in the middle of a busy street. Can anyone help me identify the breed? I am on my way to the pet store to buy food, a heat lamp, and a temporary enclosure as I assume it would be better to build some sort of habitat outside. What else should I buy? I have never had a tortoise before but my kids seem to love it.

Thanks for the help!
It's an old male Florida Box turtle. It would be best to release it close to where your found it. If you did want to get one for your kids checkout Southern Reptiles in Boca Raton.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Thanks for saving it from the busy street :tort:. Hope managed to release it.

Vectrex

Fl
Thanks for all the replies. He has already been released. I had a bit of difficulty finding someplace safe around where I found him. He was in the middle of a street near a school with no woods around (Broward County). I ended up releasing him a couple of blocks away in a wooded area which I figured is safer.

The kids really want a tortoise now but I am going to do more research on the care that they require.

Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thanks for all the replies. He has already been released. I had a bit of difficulty finding someplace safe around where I found him. He was in the middle of a street near a school with no woods around (Broward County). I ended up releasing him a couple of blocks away in a wooded area which I figured is safer.

The kids really want a tortoise now but I am going to do more research on the care that they require.
I grew up in Broward, North Lauderdale!