New guy

Zombiepanda

hello all! I've been looking into getting a tortoise and wanted to adopt, but of course while at petsmart saw one that was feisty and sooo cute!! I kept going to visit him and after researching realized his enclosure wasn't up to par so I brought him home. It's been 4 days and he won't eat or drink and just wants to hide. He'll literally go 18 hours and not move.

His temps from bask to cool end are 95-80 with t5 uvb bulb. I have aspen/coconut Coir mix substrate and he has a hide. He has a water/soak bowl and a bowl of fresh dark green leaf veggies. This guy is totally stressing me out!!!

I've had a bad experience with petsmart which is why I didn't want to purchase from there again but here we are. Is there something I can do or should I consider taking him back?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Why is he stressing you out? They take time to get used to their new home. He also needs some humidity, at least 50% and a 4x8 enclosure and one outside for warm days is best too.

Zombiepanda

Outside is a no go. Apartments :/ how can I raise his humidity? I've been spraying the substrate until it's slightly damp. Right now he's in a 55g until his table is built.

Stresses me because I don't want anything to happen to the lil fella! I want him to be happy :)

j_caouette

Outside is a no go. Apartments :/ how can I raise his humidity? I've been spraying the substrate until it's slightly damp. Right now he's in a 55g until his table is built.

Stresses me because I don't want anything to happen to the lil fella! I want him to be happy :)
You can get a normal humidifier and place a tube so it can directly go into his enclosure. This is how mine is set up. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1495760908.251502.jpg

Zombiepanda

Just curious but I thought tortoises came from more arid and dry regions? Won't this much humidity cause an RI?

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I believe the humidity level for Russians are around 70%.

That is wrong. Russians will do fine in open top enclosures for the most part, unless you have unusually low humidity in your home. That higher humidity might be what you keep a hatchling tortoise in, but remember that the OP purchased her tortoise from a pet store that only deal with tortoises above 4". That means that this tortoise is at least a few years old.

To the OP:

A 55 gallon aquarium is way too small for a Russian of that age. I know you said that this is temporary, but temporary only means not permanent. You need to get him set up appropriately ASAP.

For now, a daily warm soak will keep him hydrated and might encourage him to eat, but as Wellington pointed out, eighteen hours isnt much to be worried about. Tortoises take time to get acclimated. Have you read our Russian care sheet?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I absolutely get why you are stressed; I am a worrywart myself!

But truly, it does take at least a few days for them to start feeling comfortable. Things would feel weird to you, too, after a big move, right? And as a human, you'd understand why you'd moved and that you were safe in the new place. Your tortoise doesn't know that. He's stressed out, too. give him some time. If you can stop hovering over him for a while (I know it's hard!) it might make it easier for him to feel safe.