New hatchling!

Slbrlb

Location (City and/or State)
Midwest United States
Just got my new 3 month old Hermanns hatchling. I feel like a nervous wreck! He’s so cute though! Are there any major red flags I should be checking for? I did my research and feel the breeder did everything right; closed chamber, high humidity, 80 degree temp but I’ve read so many horror stories I’m just waiting for something bad ?
I soaked a few Mazuri pellets and he went right up and started eating.

Attachments

• 651B90F5-1CAF-42DA-B16F-FE83922AC9B0.jpeg
    651B90F5-1CAF-42DA-B16F-FE83922AC9B0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Just got my new 3 month old Hermanns hatchling. I feel like a nervous wreck! He’s so cute though! Are there any major red flags I should be checking for? I did my research and feel the breeder did everything right; closed chamber, high humidity, 80 degree temp but I’ve read so many horror stories I’m just waiting for something bad ?
I soaked a few Mazuri pellets and he went right up and started eating.
It's great the a new tortoise is so comfortable in it's new digs that it eats right away.
Maybe take his/her weight on a little digital food scale and check it for the first few months. Just to look for a steady weight gain

TaylorTortoise

Abington
It can be nerve wrecking when you have a brand-new hatchling. I have a hatchling myself; my hatchling is now 7 months old. I am very proud of myself because it is a great accomplishment to get it past those first few weeks... and then months when you start to notice putting on size, character of the tortoise. etc.

Best of luck. I would suggest purchasing a camera to watch your tortoise daily and monitor what it does to prevent flipping over. I have had mine flipped over in a water dish when we first brought him home to my aunts since she works from home and was able to sign the delivery. Luckily, she saw him flip over in the water dish but that is very deadly. tortoise flipping on backs and drowning is the worst way to find your tortoise dead.

Flipping hazards can be prevented by making plenty of plant hides... borrow stops... having the right temps... plenty of food, fresh water making sure water is not too high for baby to drown in just getting in to.