New here with a couple of questions about baby red foots

kmmmjjj

I'm new to this website and thought it might be a good idea to join because I'm getting a baby red foot in a couple of days. (So excited! And I'm a beginner in this so I've been doing tons of research.) i was just wondering how I should keep the humidity up for him and i read somewhere on this website that it was easier for baby tortoises to die so that freaked me out a bit... is that true? If it is, then any advice on how to keep my hatchling healthy?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Welcome to the forum! Lots of babies of many species are very fragile when starting out. When they're smaller, they are more sensitive to higher or lower temperatures and can dehydrate quicker.

Post pictures on your enclosure and I'm sure more people can give ya pointers on the do's and don'ts. Hydration is very important with tortoises (especially when babies since that's when their growth rate is quickest) and redfoots thrive on high humidity levels.

Also check out www.tortoiselibrary.com for basic redfoot husbandry and check out the redfoot section to get ideas. Good luck and keep asking questions!

kmmmjjj

Thanks for the advice and sending me that link! I'm not able to post a picture (sorry!) but I made a wooden enclosure with one section that has a box so the baby can retreat into. I've also heard of wooden enclosures molding cause of the humidity or the wet substrate that's needed. Is there anything I could do to stop the molding from happening? Or should I just switch to a different enclosure once the molding has started?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Thanks for the advice and sending me that link! I'm not able to post a picture (sorry!) but I made a wooden enclosure with one section that has a box so the baby can retreat into. I've also heard of wooden enclosures molding cause of the humidity or the wet substrate that's needed. Is there anything I could do to stop the molding from happening? Or should I just switch to a different enclosure once their molding has started?

Since you're getting the baby in a couple days, I'd probably get one of those cement mixing bins (2'x3') from Home Depot for like $25 or some other large plastic-type bin for a temporary enclosure.

I only say this because if you want to still use your wooden enclosure and it's not coated/waterproofed/lined with anything, then you'll probably need a few days to do so. For my wooden enclosure, I put on 3 coats of water based polyurethane inside and outside of the enclosure (this part takes a few days for the poly to dry and not stink which is pretty important). Then I lined the inside with thick pond liner. To keep humidity in, I have a frame over the enclosure and drape plastic dropcloth on it to create a greenhouse effect. Frames are pretty simple and decently cheap to make with some pvc pipe. That type of frame seems to work well over smaller temporary enclosures. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ. Happy Holloween ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413352239.470921.jpg you don't have to wait til you have questions to come here .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!