New here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bandi09

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi! I am trying to learn more about my tortoise. I have read through about 4 pages here on Greeks and I have a question?

One thread said that Collard greens are bad? Really? Everything I have read in books say they are good for them. I know from owning Guinea pigs that books are usually wrong. I don't want to feed him/her the wrong things. I have no idea how to sex him/her.

I attached a picture (I hope it attached) it is not a very clear picture but can you tell what kind of Tortoise he/she is?

If anyone can recommend a care guide or web-site with proper food. I got Collards from a book and online.

I currently feed him/her green leaf, red leaf, romaine lettuce, collard greens, Kale (he/she does not like) once in a great while some apple, and carrots. Anything else I should be doing?

He/she is currently in an glass aquarium, we are moving across country in 6 weeks and will be building him/her a turtle box. Anything I should know for our 6 day drive? We are also moving to the East coast I understand they don't like humid climates, he/she won't be kept outside for this reason.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_2529.JPG
    IMG_2529.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 48

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Hi bandi09, Welcome to the Forum. It's kind of hard to tell from the pic. If you can take one of its tail from underneath were it poos from we might be able to help tell what sex it is. From this pic it almost looks like a Russian. Can you give us a better pic of her/him from the top and one of its belly? Those would really help. Why do you think it is a Greek?
Collard greens and Kale are fine to feed your tort just not as everyday food. Some foods are too high in Plant Protein, Some bind calcium causing your tort not to be able to use the calcium his/her bones need. Some have too high a phos. ratio to calcium, some are too high in sugars. The key is to vary their food. Think of it as eating a salad every day, even then you want variety. http://www.tortoise.org/general/tntdiet.html Fruit is not good to high in sugar. Carrots are OK. A cuttlebone in its pen or a calcium supplement is good. Here are some good care sheets for Russians. These are also the same kind of things you would feed to Greeks in general. http://www.russiantortoise.org/russiantortoisediet.htm

I can’t help with him traveling as I have never traveled with a tort.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi,
You do have a Russian tortoise, Testudo horsfieldi and it's a male. :D
Robyn has given some great advice and given a link to a great website for Russians.
Your Russian can go outside on the East coast. Thats where I am and my Russians love it outside. As long as it's warm they can take wet and humidity just fine.
If your going to drive and take 6 days, I'd really look into leaving him with a friend and than have him shipped out when your settled. Shipping will be less stressful as it's just over a day and not 6 days.

Danny

bandi09

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wow! How can you tell that from a small picture? That is amazing! I just took some more pictures I need to e-mail it from one lap top to another, but since you can tell from my picture maybe I don't have to.

I thought he was a greek because the Petstore told me he was. Which I have learned my lesson from now. The hard way, they sold me sick guinea pigs.

So I guess I need to start asking questions on the Russian thread. Oh, shipping him. He is so used to being with us. They don't get bounced around in shipping?

bandi09

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you again. Now that I am sitting here. I am mad, I have had him since 10/07 and all of the research that I have done is on the greeks from the tempature he needs to the humidity level to the food. Poor little guy, I have probably been doing things wrong. I will start my new research now. Petstores......

Status
Not open for further replies.