New Hermann Owner

fraserfamily

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Hello. New to the site, and going to be homing a 4 month old Hermann hatchling tomorrow. This is our set-up, but grateful for any advice and suggestions as so much conflicting advice online! Substrate is 50% play sand//sterilised topsoil mix, solar glow 125 watt uv heat light, cuttle fish in corner, food to be served on the slate (any suggestions for a nice welcome meal tomorrow?) and plan to add some real plants for hiding/interest (spider plant, cactus?).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    792 KB · Views: 28

fraserfamily

Scotland
I don't have a lid. Is it useful to have one - to help keep heat in at night when the lamp goes off?

Heather H

N.E. ohio
With this age you have to be able to close the enclosure for heat and humidity. Please read the care sheet and then ask any questions you have.
Some people use sand some don't. I use coco coir. The enclosure needs to be warn and moist. A temp/humidity gage is important. At this age there is not a lot of room to make mistakes. You can get the gage at walmart, home depot or amazon. They are about $10. The lighting is important as well. they need heat and UVB. Lights that are coiled have been know to cause eye problems and blindness. Many of us use a MVB it is an all in one bulb. The water dish is hard for them to get in and out of and can cause them to flip. I use a 4 inch terra cotta plant saucer. sink it in so it is flat with the soil so they can walk in and out of it easy.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Food: where do you live?
I love this plant list :
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/check-out-this-great-list.86291/
mine likes : kale, radiccio, endive, escrole, water cress, radish tops, carrot tops, beet tops, dandelion, spring mix, and red leaf lettuce.
I limit: romaine and snacks to no more than once a week and limited to one of these ( 1/4 of a cherry tomato, small slice of cucumber or a small piece of carrot)
Some people cut the food up small some leave it whole. I like to leave things whole. He does not mind.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome to the forum! !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Good luck with the little one's arrival today.
A lid or cover is a good idea to keep in humidity.
You may find he won't eat to begin with, or sometimes on the first day and then not for a few days after, as he adjusts to his news home.
This is quite normal.
If you want something special to feed him on day one, perhaps one of the treats listed above, in moderation.
Send us pictures of the new baby when you can. we all love piccies here.
Read the care sheet information and then ask if you are uncertain of anything.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
add some real plants for hiding/interest (spider plant, cactus?).
Plant a lot of different weeds instead. They make a perfect humid hide, hatchlings love to dig in between the roots and you always have fresh and healthy food in the enclosure. :)

I don't have a lid. Is it useful to have one - to help keep heat in at night when the lamp goes off?
It's good to have a lid while the desiccating lamps are on, but I would remove it at night. It's natural for them to have cooler night temperatures and you don't have to worry about humidity while your tortoise is fast asleep in a humid hide.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not use that substrate. I don't like sand at all because it is a potential skin and eye irritant as well as a serious impaction risk. If you were going to use some sand anyway, 50% is way too much. Your tortoise is going to track it all over the slate and also drag food from the slate into the substrate. The sand will stick to the food and be ingested. This could be fatal over time. I also don't like topsoil because you don't know what it is made of. It could be anything.

The best substrates are coco coir and orchid bark, in my opinion. Safest and least problems.

It looks like the bulb is too high and directly over the middle of your enclosure. You need it to one side so that you have a warm side and a cooler side so that your tortoise can thermoregulate. There are four temperature to know, monitor and adjust. Warm side, cool side, basking area and over night low.

Read that care sheet that was already linked for more details.

Here are some more. These two were written for russians, but the care is essentially the same:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

What not to do:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/