New Hermann Tortoise Owner

jodemiah

Hi everyone!
My name is Jodi and I am a proud new tortoise mama.
My Hermann tortoise is named "Butter".
We live in Alberta, Canada.
My little tortoise just spent her first 24 hours with my family and has already pooped, had a bath and ate. She is an amazing little creature. I am excited to have such a neat pet.
Any advice on habitat, substrate or diet would be appreciated. : )
ImageUploadedByTortForum1388340998.327230.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1388341050.384486.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1388341074.444586.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum and there are great resources here about care and set up (did you research these basics before you acquired the tort? hmmm? :rolleyes: ) what type of set up are you using now...what is the substrate, heat source for day and night, uva/uvb source, and enclosure type....

Oh, absolutely lovely baby :tort: by the way..

edwardbo

5 Year Member
what a pretty turtle, luck you.make yourself at home,welcome.how did you get a turtle to canada?where is she from?

jodemiah

I'm using a mixed substrate of 1/2 Eco Earth and 1/2 ReptiBark.
I have a tropical basking lamp and uva/uvb lighting within the large-low ExoTerra terrarium. I initially wanted a tortoise table, but with two dogs already, I went with the terrarium style set up with mesh cover and locking doors. I attached a pic of the set-up in case anyone is interested.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1388345275.726135.jpg
I started researching the breed during the first week of October 2013 and just acquired my first tortoise yesterday. I literally spent months researching and found a lot of mixed information on the web.
The lady from whom I purchased is a Canadian breeder. She is a tortoise enthusiast and has 16 of her own tortoises of 4 different breeds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Jode welcome to the TFO from AZ
You made a good choice I love mine . But you didn't say the temps you keep them at . And thank you for getting them
From a breeder rather then some buyer or store . But you didn't say does the breeder belong to the TFO ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Jodi! You did a nice job on the habitat.

jodemiah

I don't know if the breeder is part of the TFO. I will have to ask her.
I'm keeping the temp between 29 and 31 degrees Celsius.