New Hermann's Tortoise owner looking to improve anything I need to.

BennisTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, Florida
Hello everyone! Just got my Hermann's Tortoise today and I'm looking for any improvements I need to make. I did a ton of research including reading through Chris' care sheet constantly but I feel like something is always missed when it comes to exotic animal setups. I plan to get a CHE, temperature gun, and normal heat bulb instead of the black heat bulb. I bought an Avituvin enclosure that's on the way but I might return it if my current setup is decent. The current setup is below:

Enclosure - Plastic Storage Bin (30.6 IN W x 20.6 IN D x 14.3 IN H)
Substrate - 4 inch or so Reptisoil with a 2 inch top layer of Thrive Fir Bark
Cork Bark Hide ( I made a little area in the corner away from the heat as a sort of starter burrow if the tortoise wanted)
Slate rock to bask
8.5 inch Deflector Dome Lamp with a ZooMed stand
100 Watt Night Black heat bulb
2 Terra Cotta Dishes, one for water one for food

Attachments

• 20240124_204634.jpg
    20240124_204634.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240124_161005.jpg
    IMG_20240124_161005.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello and welcome!
1. Aivitiuvin (never can spell it right...) enclosure won't give you much over your existing setup. These enclosures are too small to keep any grown-up tortoises, too low profile to get lights and heating mounted right and require hacks and quirks to make them "closed chamber" (which is essential for maintaining heat and humidity).
2. Since you have a baby tortoise it's essential to maintain a high humidity (70%+) and warm environment to avoid pyramiding. Maybe, the easiest way to achieve it is to put a portable greenhouse top around the bin or use the lid, cut around the light fixtures.
3. He needs a CHE+thermostat for the ambient heating, a basking bulb (regular or flood incandescent)and a UVB T5 tube lamp. You are on the right track here.
4. You can also put some hides or shady plants here, as young tortoises prefer to stay out of sight.
5. If you plan to keep him inside all year round, you need to plan for a 4x8 feet enclosure.

In the meanwhile you can read this post about care basics (and temperate species care sheet at the end of it):

Welcome again and ask any questions you have!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone! Just got my Hermann's Tortoise today and I'm looking for any improvements I need to make. I did a ton of research including reading through Chris' care sheet constantly but I feel like something is always missed when it comes to exotic animal setups. I plan to get a CHE, temperature gun, and normal heat bulb instead of the black heat bulb. I bought an Avituvin enclosure that's on the way but I might return it if my current setup is decent. The current setup is below:

Enclosure - Plastic Storage Bin (30.6 IN W x 20.6 IN D x 14.3 IN H)
Substrate - 4 inch or so Reptisoil with a 2 inch top layer of Thrive Fir Bark
Cork Bark Hide ( I made a little area in the corner away from the heat as a sort of starter burrow if the tortoise wanted)
Slate rock to bask
8.5 inch Deflector Dome Lamp with a ZooMed stand
100 Watt Night Black heat bulb
2 Terra Cotta Dishes, one for water one for food
Hello and welcome! Read that thread from Alex and you'll be on your way.

I agree with each and every point that Alex laid out for you. There is no way to create and maintain the correct growing conditions with an open topped tub. And your humid climate doesn't matter because the baby will mostly be indoors with eh heat in winter and AC in summer.

Overall, Chris is a great dude and I love most of what he does. He makes great quality videos and I love his outdoor turtle enclosures. His work with all the different Western hermanni is awesome and inspiring. There are a few care points that I strongly disagree with, because my experience with tortoises over the decades has taught me otherwise. What he does works for him where he is, but there are a few things that I think should be done differently. Its all explained in the thread that Alex left for you and the temperate species care sheet near the bottom of that thread.