new home for cherryheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

pros81

5 Year Member
Hi all. I just wanted to share pictures of my new setup for my 2 cherryheads. I picked up one of those land versions of the small Waterland Tub.

side view. I got the tub with the lid made for it. From left to right we have a 100W infrared heat lamp, 150W CHE, and a 5.0 UVB fluorescent bulb.
IMG_0246.jpg

top view, left side. The Waterland lid only covers the edges--the middle is completely open, which doesn't aid in keeping the humidity up, so I placed a large aquarium screen lid over that open space. It fit perfectly. Even more perfect were the large sheets of plexiglass which fits right atop the screen cover.
IMG_0247.jpg

top view, right side. As you can see, this side is rather plain and "undeveloped." It's also much cooler on this side, and as such my tortoises haven't quite been brave enough to venture this far so I didn't see a need to accommodate their stay.
IMG_0248.jpg

under the lid, right side. It's not completely undeveloped on that right side. I placed a small aquarium in the space designated as the water side. In it I have a an aquarium heater and a bubbler, which helps to increase air flow, increase humidity, and slightly increase temperature.
IMG_0249.jpg

inside view; middle to right.
IMG_0251.jpg

inside view; middle to left.
IMG_0250.jpg

red light district.
IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

Chassis (front) and Gracie (back)
IMG_0255.jpg

Substrate is 50/50 sphagnum moss and cypress mulch. I've had the set up going for just a couple days now (previously had a slight bug problem using organic potting soil) and so far so good. A nice temperature gradient from about 90F to 68F (left to right). They spend ALL their time in the darkened, warm side (dark, assuming they really don't see red light from an infrared lamp). Humidity fluctuates throughout the enclosure (60-70 under and around the heat lamps, 80+ on the right side where the mini-aquarium is, and 90+ in their various hides).

I'd want to live here if I were a redfoot :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Pros81:

LOL!! Red light district!!

I really like those Waterland tubs. You can tell that the Mfg'r really knows his reptiles. They're just about perfect.

My expertise isn't in caring for the South American tortoises, but I have read a bit here on the forum, and if I'm remembering correctly, they don't require much of a temperature drop from one end of the tub to the other. Seems to me like I remember that UV isn't quite so important with them either, but if it were, the screen doesn't allow the rays to penetrate into the habitat.

I really like the idea of the small aquarium with the bubbler for raising the humidity inside the tub. Good idea!

Chassis and Gracie are very cute! and pretty lucky too.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Hi pros81..

I appreciate your creativity - you are on the right track..... however I believe the highs are too high and the lows are too low and the lights are too plentiful! The infrared is 'overkill' and right in their "sleeping" area.. way too much light! I'd move the CHE over there. And you'll rarely see them under the 5.0. If you were a redfoot you'd want the temps more consistent and not so bright.

That little bit of "tweeking" and you have a winner!

Check out the "redfootcare" link below...

NERD

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Looks good, just would also recommend downing your heat. PS mist them every once in a while even though the humidity may be up

pros81

5 Year Member
Hi all thanks for the advice.

I've turned off the infrared light and will now use it when I want to see them for whatever reason. The room they're in is rather dark and gets very little ambient lighting.

As for the UVB bulb, I've moved it further towards the right side, over the aquarium.

I also moved the CHE a bit further to the left, over the general area of their favorite place to be. This also allowed me to move the plexiglass over a bit more since I try to keep it about an inch from being below the heat emitter.

One last thing I noticed this morning is that now that the mini aquarium is fully warmed and the air pump has been going for 24 hours, the right side and all the way towards the middle of the enclosure has a steady temperature of 82F (approaching 89F towards the left end).

For what ever it is worth, one thing I want to point out--based on limited observation--is that with that original set up (pictured), the little one (Chassis) would always go to the hottest spot (where an imaginary vector extending from both heat lamps would intersect) immediately after eating. She would spread and stretch her legs out and bask there for about 30-45mins before retreating to cooler grounds.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Could you post the site that you got your Waterland Tub from? I like it. :D

pros81

5 Year Member
Sorry haven't checked this post lately.

I'll take some pictures of how I have it set up later this evening. It's not too entirely different than what is shown, but I guess progress is progress.

Also, I was looking around for local pet stores around Southern California that had the tubs in stock as I wasn't too keen on paying $40-50 just on shipping. Apparently, nobody really has it in stock. I could have bought it through a couple stores, but they were just going to end up ordering it from the manufacturer and I'd have to pay shipping either way.

I ended up buying it online at lllreptiles, and it didn't even ship from them--it shipped directly from the manufacturer. It was also the cheapest there, at $84.99.

One thing I should note, there was a lady in the Buena Park area selling the LARGE waterland water tub for $125, basically brand new. A ridiculously good deal for that size. I would have gotten it, but I don't quite have the room right now. She was selling it through craigslist. Not sure if it has sold yet, but if anyone is interested, her e-mail is [email protected]. Just say you saw her post on craigslist.

pros81

5 Year Member
UPDATED ENCLOSURE

infrared light removed completely. Currently running with two CHEs, the farthest to the left at 100W and the one beside it, 150W. May seem like a lot of heat, but it's been necessary to keep a steady temperature gradient. The towel on the far right serves to muffle the bubbling sounds of the aquarium.
IMG_0259.jpg

had to turn on the camera's flash for this.
IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

temp dipped to 70F tonight on this side (far right). It's been cold in west LA. Humidity remains around 80%.
IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

gracie was asleep for this photo shoot.
IMG_0269.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.