New home for Eggbert the AZ Desert Tortoise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggbert

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
Eggbert is turning 3 soon, and thought it was time he had a larger place outside to call home. Here's what it looks like as of today.

Attachments

• new_home_1.jpg
    new_home_1.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 433

Motara's Mom

5 Year Member
I can't wait to see pictures when it's through.

What are all the plants you are adding?

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
That is what I dream of doing for Tank someday, hopefully soon. Please send more pics as you build and give tips. Looks beautiful.

e_salter

5 Year Member
OMG that looks fantastic wish i could efford an enclosure like that for king cooper!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
kyryah said:
Very nice!!!

What are the walls? Are those cinder blocks covered in concrete?

Sure looks like it...WOW!:)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
VERY nice.. I t looks like a Zoo exhibit!
Did you buy that large cactus? I have one about 1/2 that size that I planted about 2 years ago..
I just poked a 1/2 pad in to the ground and let it be..

Eggbert

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for all of your kind comments! The lawn was previously 30' x 30', and this was meant to cut down on the watering bills... We'll need a couple months to pass to recoup costs... *smirk*

The "finished" product isn't quite finished--there are still several trips to find grasses and other plants for Eggbert to munch on. Eggbert is only about 6 inches from head to tail, and the hide is WAY to big for her/him.

The front of the enclosure is 2 cinder blocks high and the rear is 3 high. It was wrapped with chicken wire and stuccoed. The exterior was painted to match the house color, but the inside was not painted... Unsure if paint on the inside would be a good idea? There are weep holes--about 6" diameter covered with chicken wire--around the bottom to ensure it doesn't become a pond. And just like the Beverly Hillbillies it comes complete with its own cement pond! :)

Currently the only plants inside are a spineless prickly pear, aloe blue elf, globe mallow, 2 hibiscus, and angelita daisies. Hence the need to find grasses!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I will be covering the watering hole with shade cloth about a foot above. I know that hatchlings are very sought after by birds, but was wondering if it would be wise to construct a screened cover and sides given Eggberts present size?

Thanks for your feedback!

Attachments

• new_home_5.jpg
    new_home_5.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 190
  • new_home_3.jpg
    new_home_3.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 195
M

Maggie Cummings

That's just freakin beautiful!!! Makes me want to pack my suitcase and head off to your house! I do think that you need to make a protective cover that could also make shade as it's so hot in AZ. I think shade cloth would do both, protect from predators and hot sun. Can you make it damp? Like spraying it down many times during the day??? Just a thought..

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
A pergola with shade cloth attached would probably look really nice over that beautiful enclosure you have... and you could always attach some drip hose to the lattice that you could turn on when the tort could use a little "rain."

Eggbert

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Eggbert has been enjoying her/his new digs... Here's a few pictures--does she/he look happy?

Eggbert_1.jpg
Eggbert_2.jpg
Eggbert_3.jpg
Eggbert_4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
that looks awesome! well done! eggbert looks stoked!

TOK DADDY

5 Year Member
Arizona
Enclosure looks great!!! I also live in AZ (Chandler) and have been looking for ways to improve my enclosure as well - have 3 russians. I have a very large outdoor enclosure and am not happy with the walls and look of it thus far. Man I'd love to see that enclosure in person!!! Great job.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Dude, that enclosure is insane!!
Where did you get those big rocks? I'm in Chandler too, I think I want to hire you as an enclosure designer.

Status
Not open for further replies.