New Leopard baby habitat - does this look ok?

Firstimeleopard

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Merry Christmas everyone!
Feeling very grateful to have found this forum. Our new Christmas baby leopard seems to be doing well its first few days home, and I am trying as fast as I can to unlearn all the bad internet advice and so things correctly!
**Would like some advice please on the heights of my CHE and flood light placement inside my enclosure. Per Tom’s advice, my basking light is a plain 65 watt incandescent flood bulb from the hardware store. I returned the MVP and halogens that I originally bought.
It is hanging about 8-9 in from the substrate- is this too close or ok?? It’s keeping the temp at the basking spot at a steady 90 degrees. My CHE is pretty deep into its ceramic cover, but the CHE itself is hanging about 11 inches from the substrate. It’s a 60 watt. That area is staying in the nice mid-80’s, with the CHE set on a Zilla thermostat. Ambient temp in the other corner of the enclosure is running mid-high 70’s.
Are these heights ok, based on my temps, or are they too close to the substrate and tortoise ?
Please see my modified enclosure below. I had to add an “addition” to the original lid to make the height high enough to hang light /heat inside. Did I do it high enough? Or do I need another layer or two? Help and advise welcomed, as I am new and trying hard to learn correctly!

Attachments

• 580989CB-8584-44F1-A475-736810290D0E.jpeg
    580989CB-8584-44F1-A475-736810290D0E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 6D687B14-4799-4016-A14F-1A46AA24AB1F.jpeg
    6D687B14-4799-4016-A14F-1A46AA24AB1F.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 2FE84FCF-A028-4C9C-A50B-1185D4396093.jpeg
    2FE84FCF-A028-4C9C-A50B-1185D4396093.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 23E051A5-9844-4BDA-A35F-C153847EB57F.jpeg
    23E051A5-9844-4BDA-A35F-C153847EB57F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8

Firstimeleopard

New Jersey
Feeling very grateful to have found this forum. Our new Christmas baby leopard seems to be doing well its first few days home, and I am trying as fast as I can to unlearn all the bad internet advice and so things correctly!
**Would like some advice please on the heights of my CHE and flood light placement inside my enclosure. Per Tom’s advice, my basking light is a plain 65 watt incandescent flood bulb from the hardware store. I returned the MVP and halogens that I originally bought.
It is hanging about 8-9 in from the substrate- is this too close or ok?? It’s keeping the temp at the basking spot at a steady 90 degrees. My CHE is pretty deep into its ceramic cover, but the CHE itself is hanging about 11 inches from the substrate. It’s a 60 watt. That area is staying in the nice mid-80’s, with the CHE set on a Zilla thermostat. Ambient temp in the other corner of the enclosure is running mid-high 70’s.
Are these heights ok, based on my temps, or are they too close to the substrate and tortoise ?
Please see my modified enclosure below. I had to add an “addition” to the original lid to make the height high enough to hang light /heat inside. Did I do it high enough? Or do I need another layer or two? Help and advise welcomed, as I am new and trying hard to learn correctly!
Ps- I still have to add the UVB strip- doing that today! This is just for basking bulb and CHE heights. Thanks!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. Hopefully an expert can get back to you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Only your thermometer can answer these questions. How are you measuring those temps? I rest a digital thermometer on its back and let it bake under the lamp for an hour or more. Then, adjust the fixture height as needed.

I think you need a 100 or 150 watt CHE. The whole enclosure should never drop below 80.