new leopard tort hatchling mom :-)

Katybug

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
Hey everyone I'm in Utah And just received my leopard tort hatchling in the mail 4 days ago. She's not eating much and sleeping most of the time... any tips Or advice would be welcomed and appreciated!

Enclosure is a 18" wide 34" long 3" high Tupperware conditioner. I'm using Timothy hay for substrate, a zoo med all in one 160watt Uvb, heat bulb, it's about 90 to 95 under the light. The rest of her cage is about 70-72 degrees. She has a bark/wood hide box, and a water dish... I'm soaking daily either 1x for 30 min or 2x daily for 15 period. I'm feeding collard greens that I have grated with calcium powder. I tried some zucchini and she took one bite and went back to sleep...
Any suggestions....

Kate

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello,and Welcome:). Change the hay out for coconut coir, the hay is too drying. Get the humidity up to 80% and the temps no lower then 80 day and night, with a basking of 95+. Do not use any coil type bulbs, they cause eye problems. Give a water dish 24/7, clay saucers like the ones for flower pots work good. Feed a much bigger variety, and no on the zucchini and calcium only a small pinch twice a week. That's for starters, now please read Toms threads below for proper raising and housing for your leopard. The sulcatas threads will apply also.

Last edited:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Katie welcome to the TFO from AZ. You made a good choice ( leopard tort ) but what was it that made you deside on a leopard ? When will we see Picts of your tort and enclosure ?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Hi Katie,

Many of us Leopard owners have been creating habitats for them that mimic the conditions they would hatch into in the wild. This would mean a warm and humid environment. I think if you set your baby up in these proper conditions you'll notice a better appetite and more activity. Not much activity, babies do sleep a lot and Leopards get the nick name "pretty rocks" for a reason.
There are a few ways to achieve the hot and humid environment. Some members like to provide simply a nice warm and humid hide. Some members partially cover a tortoise table with drier and humid areas. Others, like me, prefer to create closed chambers so the entire enclosure is hot and humid.

For a quick improvement, get your baby something earthy as her substrate. Clean dirt from your yard, plain top soil, coconut coir..etc. Then do some reading here to understand more about how to properly house your new baby.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-15137.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-18931.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

Then have fun putting together her new diggs!

Here are some examples of what I have done and you'll find many more examples throughout the threads.

The hatchling closed chamber made from a glass reptile tank
fayebm.jpg

344wdnm.jpg

o0axac.jpg

The juvenile night chamber made from a storage tote
2db8phd.jpg

1hv9fb.jpg

2mpndkx.jpg

Welcome to TFO and the wonderful world of Leopard tortoise ownership :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
You say your new tort is sleeping a lot . That's nature , inthe wild first to move the first to be eaten . Give it some time and keep feeding her and she will find that you are the " Food God " and she will come running .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. I second what Wellington and Heather said. I used plastic over a simple wood frame to enclose my tort table. Leopard hatchlings are shy, but keep them warm and humid and they are very entertaining.