New leopard tortoise owner

Cbarbz

Location (City and/or State)
Los Ángeles
Hello all! I have a couple questions in my new baby leopard tortoise. He/she tends to sleep a lot in the corner. Also, when he/she is sleeping it kind of bops it’s head. What does this mean?! Also, I attached pictures to see if it’s habitat is okay?

Attachments

• 3F4576D2-EF81-46B0-B39F-D8A3C89F8BBD.jpeg
    3F4576D2-EF81-46B0-B39F-D8A3C89F8BBD.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 70
  • 2EFA9BD5-A44B-4039-B46B-0BC49342B4EA.jpeg
    2EFA9BD5-A44B-4039-B46B-0BC49342B4EA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 61
  • 2066C50B-62A1-49A4-9C81-B34E36335245.jpeg
    2066C50B-62A1-49A4-9C81-B34E36335245.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 62

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I'm still new here, but with that open enclosure, it'll be hard to keep the temp and humidity at the recommended levels.

Congratulations on your new beauty!

Jamie

Cbarbz

Los Ángeles
I'm still new here, but with that open enclosure, it'll be hard to keep the temp and humidity at the recommended levels.

Congratulations on your new beauty!

Jamie
He won’t go in the enclosure :(. Do you think that the lights are too close to him where it will cook him?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need to make a closed chamber enclosure with temps no lower then 80 day and night a basking spot of 95-100 and humidity of 80%. Please look up closed chamber thread in this forum.
The moving of the legs kinda pumping is normal they do that when they breath sometimes or when trying to be threatening.

Melis

Maryland
Welcome to you and your little one!

Have you read through our caresheets?

Don’t get overwhelmed, but your enclosure needs a lot of work. Baby leopards should be in an enclosed chamber in order to maintain a humidity level of at least 80%. This will ensure hydration and prevent pyramiding (which from your one pic looks like it’s already starting, but it could be a bad angle). You need a water saucer sink into the substrate so it’s easy for him to get in and out of. Many use a terra-cotta plant saucer. The space is way too open. That could be why he’s “hiding” in the corner. Babies do not like to be exposed. Some plants for cover or more hides will help. Those clamps are dangerous to hold the lights and can pose as a fire hazard. The lights need to be hung straight down and not at an angle. What are the temps in the enclosure? And how often are you soaking?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He won’t go in the enclosure :(. Do you think that the lights are too close to him where it will cook him?
It is best too use a fluorescent tube uvb and ceramic heat emitter for night heat or better yet a infrared heat panel for added heat.

Cbarbz

Los Ángeles
Welcome to you and your little one!

Have you read through our caresheets?

Don’t get overwhelmed, but your enclosure needs a lot of work. Baby leopards should be in an enclosed chamber in order to maintain a humidity level of at least 80%. This will ensure hydration and prevent pyramiding (which from your one pic looks like it’s already starting, but it could be a bad angle). You need a water saucer sink into the substrate so it’s easy for him to get in and out of. Many use a terra-cotta plant saucer. The space is way too open. That could be why he’s “hiding” in the corner. Babies do not like to be exposed. Some plants for cover or more hides will help. Those clamps are dangerous to hold the lights and can pose as a fire hazard. The lights need to be hung straight down and not at an angle. What are the temps in the enclosure? And how often are you soaking?
I just got him yesterday. So maybe the pyramid shell started there? Also. I will build and enclosure as soon as possible. As far as the basking area tempature. It’s at 90 degrees. What type of plants do you recommend to have around the habitat. The pineapple dish is a temporary one and i will get a better one soon. Also, is the bark okay for flooring?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

schumacherl88

Durand, Michigan
View attachment 256763 we have two I take it when they bob their head there trying to wake up and ur hide out might be too dark or too small and baby tortoises sleep 21 hrs a day we also are fairly new but have done a lot of research n have a wonderful Breeder

drew54

Indiana

You have to put the tiny dude in his enclosure. He isn't going to know to sleep in there. Just put him in there every night at bed time. He will eventually get on a sleep schedule and go in there on his own. Also, those clamps are the greatest, so keep an eye on them because they typically fail and it could kill your tiny dinosaur and burn your house down. Mine bobs the head slightly while she is smelling and breathing. It's kind of cute. He will probably sleep in the corners until he adjusts.

It's also required you post lots of pictures of your tiny dude and post weekly updates on measurements. I'm kidding, but seriously. [emoji6]

the key to a happy and healthy tort is to spoil them.