Leopard Tortoise Habitat?

junerivers3

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Just finished setting up a habitat for my new baby leopard tortoise. i plan to upgrade it to a larger place when he’s a couple months. is this okay for now? i researched for the plants that i put in there and it says it’s safe. the piece of bark i put is just something i had in my gardening area but we are pesticide free. the soil is gardening soil. i’m expecting a shipment of more things such as bowls /feeding plates/ hide out to place inside as well. is this okay?

image.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just finished setting up a habitat for my new baby leopard tortoise. i plan to upgrade it to a larger place when he’s a couple months. is this okay for now? i researched for the plants that i put in there and it says it’s safe. the piece of bark i put is just something i had in my gardening area but we are pesticide free. the soil is gardening soil. i’m expecting a shipment of more things such as bowls /feeding plates/ hide out to place inside as well. is this okay?
Is that a plant pot? There is no size reference, but if its less than 36" across, its too small. There is no way to create a thermal gradient with a basking area in something so small. Also, the open top is going to let all your heat and humidity out. You really need a closed chamber to create and maintain the optimal growing conditions for your new baby.

Those plants won't live with out some heavy duty lighting, and your tortoise will trample or eat them in short order.

Soil should not be used as a substrate for tortoises. It is made of composted yard waste and it could have any number of toxins, both natural toxins like oleander, and man made chemical toxins like pesticides. The soil makers don't intend for their product to be used in small containers with live animals living on it. It also too messy and muddy. Fine grade orchid bark works best for leopard babies.

I see you are new here. Have you seen the yet? They explain how to set up the correct environment:

Less grass for a leopard, but the list of foods is good:

junerivers3

Florida
sorry I did take this standing up. the planter is a huge pot I'm not too concerned on size as I have raised many sulfates in here and this is just their home till they're bout a month old. I'm just new to leopard tortoise and wanna make sure everything is right. I have temp controls and testers coming in today.

junerivers3

Florida
Is that a plant pot? There is no size reference, but if its less than 36" across, its too small. There is no way to create a thermal gradient with a basking area in something so small. Also, the open top is going to let all your heat and humidity out. You really need a closed chamber to create and maintain the optimal growing conditions for your new baby.

Those plants won't live with out some heavy duty lighting, and your tortoise will trample or eat them in short order.

Soil should not be used as a substrate for tortoises. It is made of composted yard waste and it could have any number of toxins, both natural toxins like oleander, and man made chemical toxins like pesticides. The soil makers don't intend for their product to be used in small containers with live animals living on it. It also too messy and muddy. Fine grade orchid bark works best for leopard babies.

I see you are new here. Have you seen the yet? They explain how to set up the correct environment:

Less grass for a leopard, but the list of foods is good:
I'm waiting for some coco coir to come in, for now I only have better-go orchid bark which I'm not sure is safe to use. are there any substitutes for now?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm waiting for some coco coir to come in, for now I only have better-go orchid bark which I'm not sure is safe to use. are there any substitutes for now?
I'm not familiar with the "better-go" brand of orchid bark, but if its fine grade and there are no additives, it should be fine. Coco coir can work too, but its messy. You'll need an 8 or 9 inch damp loose layer, and then firmly hand pack it down to 3-4 inches. This makes it less messy and better for them to walk on.

junerivers3

Florida
I'm not familiar with the "better-go" brand of orchid bark, but if its fine grade and there are no additives, it should be fine. Coco coir can work too, but its messy. You'll need an 8 or 9 inch damp loose layer, and then firmly hand pack it down to 3-4 inches. This makes it less messy and better for them to walk on.
it’s this.. i don’t know if it’s safe. it says it has no added dyes

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10

junerivers3

Florida
for now can i use soil from my yard instead of the potting soil? it’s dryer and has no fertilizer or anything

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
it’s this.. i don’t know if it’s safe. it says it has no added dyes
That says "Orchid Moss". I wouldn't use any moss. You want fine grade orchid bark. They probably sell it at the same place you got that one from. The ingredients will be listed on the bag.

If your yard dirt is of good consistency, you can use that. It will probably be messy though. Just change the water dish often and don't let it get too muddy.

junerivers3

Florida
That says "Orchid Moss". I wouldn't use any moss. You want fine grade orchid bark. They probably sell it at the same place you got that one from. The ingredients will be listed on the bag.

If your yard dirt is of good consistency, you can use that. It will probably be messy though. Just change the water dish often and don't let it get too muddy.
i have this special orchid potting mix. ingredients are only western fern bark, hardwood charcoal, and perlite.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i have this special orchid potting mix. ingredients are only western fern bark, hardwood charcoal, and perlite.
Perlite is deadly to tortoises. They eat it and it lines their intestinal tract, eventually killing them. I had this happen to some babies that were incubated on it and ate some after hatching. Tortoises seem attracted to eating little white bits in their substrate. I wouldn't want the charcoal either.

junerivers3

Florida
at this point i’m just looking for some type of bedding to secure my tortoise for a day or two until my shipment comes in. i have a mixture that my bamboo trees are surrounded with. no pesticides or anything like that. would that work?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 6

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
at this point i’m just looking for some type of bedding to secure my tortoise for a day or two until my shipment comes in. i have a mixture that my bamboo trees are surrounded with. no pesticides or anything like that. would that work?
That looks like large grade orchid bark with some loose hay on top. Hard for them to walk on.

I think home depot now sells orchid bark.

Where are you getting the tortoise from?

junerivers3

Florida
That looks like large grade orchid bark with some loose hay on top. Hard for them to walk on.

i found a nice dirt mixture from an old gardening area i used to have so i’m putting that for now. if i added a bit of the orchard bark (small pieces) would that be okay on one side?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6

junerivers3

Florida

the leopard tortoise is from a friend. it’s under a month old , and my friend doesn’t want it because her kids are too rough with it.