New leopard tortoise owner

Zerogambit

Location (City and/or State)
Briones
Hi all first time posting here and new tort owner. First day I brought oogway home he ate a bunch explored his enclosure and went to sleep. The last day and today so far hes been sleeping most of the time and hasnt really eaten much else. He is a little over 2 monthes old in a tank with a cold spot of about 85 and basking of 95. Ive soaked him every morning for about 15-20 minutes and he drank both times but didnt dirty the water today. Just thinking he is still getting used to being in a new place but want to be sure.
Thank you!

20190715_110955.jpg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hi all first time posting here and new tort owner. First day I brought oogway home he ate a bunch explored his enclosure and went to sleep. The last day and today so far hes been sleeping most of the time and hasnt really eaten much else. He is a little over 2 monthes old in a tank with a cold spot of about 85 and basking of 95. Ive soaked him every morning for about 15-20 minutes and he drank both times but didnt dirty the water today. Just thinking he is still getting used to being in a new place but want to be sure.
Thank you!
Hello and welcome to the Tortoise Forum. I'm sure that more knowledgeable people will talk to you soon with more info then I can give you about leopards. But this much I do know. Tortoises are slow moving vehicles. The less stress the better. It takes time to help them find out they're safe. There's also all kinds of threads on this site to help you in the meantime. You came to the right place to get the support you need.

Zerogambit

Briones
Hello and welcome to the Tortoise Forum. I'm sure that more knowledgeable people will talk to you soon with more info then I can give you about leopards. But this much I do know. Tortoises are slow moving vehicles. The less stress the better. It takes time to help them find out they're safe. There's also all kinds of threads on this site to help you in the meantime. You came to the right place to get the support you need.

Thank you very much for the reply. I will just give him the time he needs.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thank you very much for the reply. I will just give him the time he needs.
In the meantime just put fresh food and water available every day. There are threads here for leopards to help you know how to maintain proper temps, humidity, food and enclosure. Hang in there. Believe it or not it does get easier. And way more fun once they settle in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome! We hear ths story over and over. I guess the tortoise doesn't realize he's actually staying in this new place and not getting to go 'home' to his old territory, until he's eaten a meal and done a bit of exploring. Just keep bringing him out and placing him in front of the food.

I have a suggestion for you: move the half log over to a wall, up against a side wall and the back wall. This gives you more room to add sight barriers like plants, a big rock, etc., and gives the shelter a more cave-like feel.