New Light Setup

Azreal967

Location (City and/or State)
Fonthill, Ontario
I'm coming up to my Tortoises' 1 year "Gotcha Day" and I'm thinking of updating the lighting setup. At the moment, I have a ReptiTherm Habitat Heater, and a combo reflector with a 75W Halogen on one side and a Reptisun 5.0 compact bulb on the other side. The temps in my enclosure are usually pretty good, and with a good spray every day, humidity stays at a decent %... usually between 70-90. I'm changing my heating bulb usually about once every 2 months, which is a P.I.T.A. and I would like to figure out that problem if anyone has any ideas. Also, I'm wondering if I should be changing to a Reptisun 5.0 or 10.0 24" tube instead of a compact Reptisun 5.0. Ozzy ( my Yellow Footed) is extremely active when we get him outside, but really just stays in the hide for the most part when indoors.

Attachments

• IMG_20210425_111839.jpg
    IMG_20210425_111839.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210425_111824.jpg
    IMG_20210425_111824.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20210425_111804.jpg
    IMG_20210425_111804.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 17

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would have liked to have seen the tortoise in one of the pictures. It's hard to know how big the enclosure is (if it's big enough) without the inhabitant.

I would move the hiding place over to one end, up against a wall, remove the rock and add several plants. It might be that the light is too bright for your YF tortoise.

You've been pretty inventive with your idea of a closed chamber. I like it. But I can't tell what the ceiling is. Is it fine mesh screen? Is the top also covered with plastic?

FYI - the Compact Fluorescent Bulbs have been known to harm tortoises' eyes. I wouldn't use one of those. He may be hiding from that.

Azreal967

Fonthill, Ontario
I would have liked to have seen the tortoise in one of the pictures. It's hard to know how big the enclosure is (if it's big enough) without the inhabitant.

I would move the hiding place over to one end, up against a wall, remove the rock and add several plants. It might be that the light is too bright for your YF tortoise.

You've been pretty inventive with your idea of a closed chamber. I like it. But I can't tell what the ceiling is. Is it fine mesh screen? Is the top also covered with plastic?

FYI - the Compact Fluorescent Bulbs have been known to harm tortoises' eyes. I wouldn't use one of those. He may be hiding from that.
the ceiling is metal screen, with plastic underneath, and a hole cut in the plastic under where the lights are. Here is the best picture that I can get of them just now... I'll try and add another one when s/he comes out later if I can. I am planning on making the enclosure a little bigger in the near future, once I can get Ozzy outside for most of the day. I'm in Niagara, Ontario, so It's still a bit cool up here. About changing to a tube, will it be a big deal with the humidity that it will be exposed to?

Attachments

• IMG_20210425_114911.jpg
    IMG_20210425_114911.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7