new member and new sulcata owner!!

Timothy_tortoise

5 Year Member
Hey guys I guess my biggest question at the moment would be what is the best housing for my sulcata in southern/central north carolina??? My tortoise is currently 4yrs old(previous owner gave up on him) and is staying indoors... I know I need to prepare out door living but do not know what is needed... any help is GREATLY appreciated! !

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Welcome! You can follow the links in my signature to get a good start. Also, check out Tom's links for GREAT in-depth info! Oh yeah! You need to post pictures ASAP ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Just a note to everyone...the old links from our previous format don't work on this new format. Josh is working on it. But, Timothy_tortoise, if you'll go to the Sulcata Section and read the first few threads at the top of the section, you will gain important knowledge on how to care for your new tortoise.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome!!

All you need to do is just browsing through what DeanS suggested then I believe you will come up with some ideas of you own. You will have lots fun to design and build your outdoor enclosure.

jfales

5 Year Member
Read everything written by Tom on the forum (you can search for the username "Tom" and keyword "sulcata"). By no means is he the only expert; however, he has accumulated a number of standard posts for the sulcata. There are many folks on this site who have given me encouragement, general advice and specific direction. I recently took over a 23 yo, 104 pounder. The folks on the site are very giving of their experience - post as much as you can about what you have, including pictures, and they will help you formulate alternatives for what you can do. Welcome and congratulations!

Timothy_tortoise

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone I have been reading for days!! Lol I'm in the process of getting his bedroom set up now... One question I haven't seen much about though.. Is hardwood floors a problem for him? What can I do if so? Again I'm new to tortoises so bear with me here!! Lol

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
Hello and welcome. This is the place to be. I don't know about the hardwood floors other then I hope you don't like them because a Sulcata will more then likely trash them. Also I agree, Read everything by Tom.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Still waiting for pictures.......
Your 4-year old sulcata will need as much space as you can give him outdoors. They love to pace their perimeters and if they can see through it they will want to go through it. For that reason I like to use solid walls, not fencing, to keep them in. I have a combination of 2 x 12's in some areas and 1/2" plywood cut to 18" in other areas (you get 3 boards per sheet of plywood). Some of the plywood is a liner for chain link fence, but it is still staked with metal stakes. Concrete block or cinder block stacked 2 or 3 high make good walls too. I find that the concrete is a bit abrasive on their shells so I'll use wood where possible.
You will need a night box for warmth and security. A great design used by several forum members can be found here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/ (you may have to copy and paste this into your browser)
I am a rookie builder and following Tom's guide it came out darn good.

Good luck.