New member from stonington,ME USA

Lisa Gove71

Hi, glad i found this forum!!
I currently have one dalmatian hermann tortie, and am excited to get more!
We live on an island in maine with 4 dogs, 4 other reptiles and a cat. I am excited to explore and ask my questions!!!

Great forum!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Been on holiday. back now.
So, a bit late, sorry.
But, hello and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you Lisa, and all your animals too.
Ask away.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just read your other threads. It seems like you may have missed an important distinction.

PAIRS are not a good idea. GROUPS of tortoises are an entirely different thing. Redfoots, leopards and stars usually get along in mixed groups with no problems. The Testudo species, like your hermanni, can be a bit more scrappy. In a large enclosure with lots of sight barriers and "furniture" an adult group with one male and several females will usually work just fine. A pair, meaning just two, of any sex combo is likely to have problems. Babies usually all get along just fine regardless of sexes.

Even given the above, problems can and do still arise, so any one with multiple tortoises needs to have a back up plan with separate enclosures at the ready.

Check these threads out for more info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/bad-day-for-baby.114328/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/

Lisa Gove71

I just read your other threads. It seems like you may have missed an important distinction.

PAIRS are not a good idea. GROUPS of tortoises are an entirely different thing. Redfoots, leopards and stars usually get along in mixed groups with no problems. The Testudo species, like your hermanni, can be a bit more scrappy. In a large enclosure with lots of sight barriers and "furniture" an adult group with one male and several females will usually work just fine. A pair, meaning just two, of any sex combo is likely to have problems. Babies usually all get along just fine regardless of sexes.

Even given the above, problems can and do still arise, so any one with multiple tortoises needs to have a back up plan with separate enclosures at the ready.

Check these threads out for more info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/bad-day-for-baby.114328/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/

Well the zoologist i got mine from the disagree with you... But, seems on this forum no one seems to think his years and years and years working with several different species means anything... He has never had any issues.. I have asked.

Killerrookie

Everyone has their own opinions and that's fine. I love what Tom said and I think he's right in my opinion. Welcome.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I can think of three logical possibilities in regard to your zoologist friend: either he's been lucky so far, or he has a set up that works and is critical to success, or he's missed the subtle signs of bullying and attributed failure to thrive to other causes.

We're trying to save you heartache and share the benefit of our experience. It can take years for the results of certain practices to show up. Years and years, then it 'seems' sudden. It's easy to miss the signs of bullying. In so many aspects of care, everything works great and then it doesn't.

Be kind to your tortoise. Don't subject them to stress and risk. Have a group or a solitary, but not a pair.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well the zoologist i got mine from the disagree with you... But, seems on this forum no one seems to think his years and years and years working with several different species means anything... He has never had any issues.. I have asked.

Are we to discount our own years of experience and pretend that the things we've seen did not happen? Did you look at the threads I posted for you? Is that make believe? Perhaps its Hollywood Movie Magic that made it look like that Russian tortoise was missing an eye?

We have no idea what your Zoologist tortoise supplier has seen or not seen. Why not invite him here to show us all the error of our ways? We are all eager to learn.

How many Testudo species of tortoise has he housed as a pair and for how many years? What sort of enclosure?

Animal behavior has been my career since 1986. I even have two degrees. One says "Animal Behavior Management", which is fancy for "training", and the other says "Wildlife Education". What of MY knowledge, education and experience? Does that not hold any weight with you? Shall your Zooligist friend and I compare résumés and see who has the most tortoise experience? What would that accomplish?

Okay... last question. Why are you here? You ask. We answer. You argue. You accuse. Repeat. You are apparently a dog training and tortoise behavior expert, with other experts on hand to concur with your brilliance. What do you need us for? What are you getting from us? You certainly don't want to learn or be advised. Do you just need a place to argue? I don't. I will spend my time sharing my experience with people who want to hear what I have to say and appreciate sharing tortoise info.

For the sake of whatever tortoises happen to end up in your care, I wish you good luck and bid you fare well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Lisa: Did you specifically ask about PAIRS? That's what we're talking about - two tortoises together in one habitat. Groups seem to work out ok, but the trouble comes when you try to keep them in pairs.