New member introduction

Shelby's mom

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi,
My name is Susan. I have been reading your posts since I obtained Shelby Vincent, a baby sulcata. It's been very helpful as I learn about raising a tortoise.

Believe it or not, Shelby showed up on my doorstep one morning in late April. I live in an apartment complex on the ground floor. I have no idea where he came from...my neighbors don't either. I live in a desert preserve and we have a lot of wildlife in the area....who knows...but he is now being spoiled. I am assuming he was about 2 months old when I found him. I measured him at 2 inches in length and width. I am assuming he is a male - he has more of a "V" than a "U" at his tail. I attached a photo of how I found him. And his size next to a paper clip. He knocked on the right door.

I feed him daily. A mix of green, red, romaine, escarole lettuces, green kale, collard greens, dandelion greens, baby bok choy and mustard greens. I chop it all up in little pieces and give him little piles for breakfast and dinner. I have also introduced a little bit of zucchini and a little strawberry and mango - only as an occasional treat. I also dust his greens with calcium carbonate a couple of times a week. His morning routine is a little warm soak before his breakfast while I make my coffee.

I have a senior cat who gets along with him great. But, I need to do something with her food, because he keeps wanting to eat it. Ugh. I have read about it...one or two pieces won't hurt...but it's a no-no.

I am looking to buy a house this spring, so as he grows he will have a backyard to explore.

He has a hutch in my bedroom and I am getting him a new uvb/heat lamp combo. I try to keep it interesting for him with rocks and colorful pieces

He's growing. He was 50 grams when I got him 3 months ago. Now he's 88 grams. Don't grow too fast - I know how big they get...

I hope he's happy. 🙂

Attachments

• 20220425_062140.jpg
    20220425_062140.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220425_165520.jpg
    20220425_165520.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220522_145727.jpg
    20220522_145727.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220709_075125.jpg
    20220709_075125.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220730_163601.jpg
    20220730_163601.jpg
    478.5 KB · Views: 1

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum. Little Shelby looks a very determined sort of person, and it's wonderful he just appeared like that! There are experienced people here who will be able to advise you and answer any questions you have - not me I'm afraid , but I just wanted to say Hello.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Susan, and welcome to the Forum!!

Sulcatas are not native to Arizona, so either a bird dropped him on your property or his clutch escaped their yard.

Here's a bit of friendly advice for you on caring for your new little baby: Baby sulcatas stay hidden most of the time because they're prey. And because they hide a lot, they are usually in a moist, humid environment. We have learned that this moisture and humidity helps the little guy's shell to grow smoothly. If you'll notice in your last picture Shelby is starting to pyramid. He would benefit from being kept in a more humid environment. Ho I achieve that is to keep my babies in a closed or covered enclosure on moist substrate, with lots of plants for hiding (which also provides humidity).

Shelby is one lucky little guy that you were alert enough to see his tiny body in your doorway!!

OliveW

Branford, FL
He's so adorable! That sweet face! :<3:

I'm an accidental owner and newbie as well of a bit larger Sulcata. I've wanted a tortoise my entire life, but every time I started to research, the responsibility and care of them led me to back out of it. Then one found me. I never cared what species, as I love all tortoises and turtles.

You'll want to live and breathe by Tom's care sheet. I ignore advice found anywhere else on the internet.

Welcome, I'm glad you found this forum, just as I did. The most knowledgeable people are right here!

Shelby's mom

Arizona
Welcome to the forum. Little Shelby looks a very determined sort of person, and it's wonderful he just appeared like that! There are experienced people here who will be able to advise you and answer any questions you have - not me I'm afraid , but I just wanted to say Hello.
Thank you!

Shelby's mom

Arizona
Hi Susan, and welcome to the Forum!!

Sulcatas are not native to Arizona, so either a bird dropped him on your property or his clutch escaped their yard.

Here's a bit of friendly advice for you on caring for your new little baby: Baby sulcatas stay hidden most of the time because they're prey. And because they hide a lot, they are usually in a moist, humid environment. We have learned that this moisture and humidity helps the little guy's shell to grow smoothly. If you'll notice in your last picture Shelby is starting to pyramid. He would benefit from being kept in a more humid environment. Ho I achieve that is to keep my babies in a closed or covered enclosure on moist substrate, with lots of plants for hiding (which also provides humidity).

Shelby is one lucky little guy that you were alert enough to see his tiny body in your doorway!!
Thanks. I appreciate the advice. I will look into trying to give him a more humidity. I'm doing the best I can - I'm kinda limited in a one bedroom apartment. But I do have some sphagnum moss I can wet down and put in a darkened corner of his enclosure. Maybe that would help. Hoping when I get a bigger place, I can do a lot more...I picture a place for him to dig in loamy soil and plants around.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thanks. I appreciate the advice. I will look into trying to give him a more humidity. I'm doing the best I can - I'm kinda limited in a one bedroom apartment. But I do have some sphagnum moss I can wet down and put in a darkened corner of his enclosure. Maybe that would help. Hoping when I get a bigger place, I can do a lot more...I picture a place for him to dig in loamy soil and plants around.
Unfortunately, moss is not a good idea - the tortoise might eat some, and it can cause bowel impaction - especially in a young tortoise.
Angie

Shelby's mom

Arizona
Thank you. I spoke to another tortoise friend who bought a humidifier for hers. I think I will do something like that...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, it's not a good idea for the tortoise to be breathing in wet air. You can achieve more humidity by wetting the substrate, adding plants and covering the enclosure.