New Member - Need help with baby t

WildCard15

Hello everyone,

My name is Charlotte, I live in the UK in Kent. I have a hatchling (or so I think) Russian/horsfield tortoise. When I got him from the pet shop, they just told me it was a hatchling, no specific age and I was wondering if I posted a picture of him, would anyone be able to help tell me how old they reckon it is. I also don't know the sex of it as the pet shop owner said it was too young to know. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    524.6 KB · Views: 38

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

The only way to know the age would be to know the hatch date. Looks to be 2 or 3 years old, but that is just a guess. And they are right that it is too young to sex.

You got to get rid of that substrate with the limestone bits in it. That is dangerous. If the pet shop sold you that then they probably sold you other bad stuff too. Did they sell you a big ramped water bowl? Coil or cfl type UV bulb?

Here are the requested tips:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Last edited by a moderator:

WildCard15

Ok firstly thanks for getting back to me so quick, sorry I have been busy working that's why it's taken me some time to reply. I have taken some more pictures. Also the soil was from pets at home which is called tortoise terrain, so I assumed it was ok for him as it said suitable for Mediterranean tortoises. Should I be using something else? I've posted pics of my set up to make sure it's ok. Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated! I just want to make sure my tortoise is happy, healthy & alive!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    849.5 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    878.6 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). The enclosure looks pretty good. Should be bigger though. Russians roam a great distance in the wild. So even though they stay small, they still need a large enclosure. When you can, just add onto the one you have. You can use plain dirt for a substrate. This way s/he can burrow in. the water dish seems a little low sided. Torts will put their whole head into the water to drink. A little deeper one would work better, but if you see him drinking from it, then wait till he gets bigger.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Welcome. Unfortunately pet stores sell many things that are useless or even harmful. Tortoises eat white things that can become impacted. That's why Tom told you to replace your substrate.

The store probably gave you bad advice about heat and temps, too. You need a uvb bulb. Not a coil bulb, because that can cause blindness.

WildCard15

Thanks Wellington & johnsonnboswell for the advice. I will certainly look in to getting the home bigger & when you say plain dirt, do you mean from the garden? Oh no! I really hope I haven't damaged his/hers eyes then what watt should I get? From my pics would you say he/her looks healthy? I don't know what sex it is still

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Charlotte and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Lovely looking Russian you have there, looks healthy to me.
Dirt from the garden is fine if it doesn't contain too much sand and you're sure is free from chemicals (herbicides, pesticides etc.)
Coco coir, orchid bark and cypress mulch are other good choices of substrate.
It's a young Russian, impossible to be precise on the age and too young to guess at the sex.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Charlotte, and welcome to the Forum!