New Member, Prognathodon

Prognathodon

Location (City and/or State)
NE Illinois
Good afternoon,

Call me Prognathodon, the prehistoric marine reptile with big nasty point teeth. Which I mostly don't use. I'm old enough to know better - i.e.: my son is a responsible young adult. Besides the humans, the household consists of snakes, lots of snakes, a blue-tongued skink, dogs, fish, and most recently Lummy, a baby Russian tortoise. He's a captive-bred baby, got from Reptile Rapture in Madison, WI on Saturday October 22nd. I did my homework, and talked my husband out of a sulcata (mainly because of winter housing in NE Illinois).

Currently Lummy is in a 2' x 4' stock tank with eco-earth substrate, UTH, a CHE (looking at upgrading to a RHP, not a fan of CHEs), a basking spot, hides, some slate to help wear his toenails, water (plus daily soaks), a prickly pear pad (not sure if it's going to make it) aloes and safe sedums, waiting for some seed mix to come in to sow for his snack-ification. We're lucky that the local independent grocery store carries things like green and red dandelion greens, and nopalitos, plus goodies like squash blossoms in season, so "grocery store" food isn't too bad. We also have Repashy supplement and Mazuri tortoise pellets for him.

We'll be building an outdoor enclosure, probably from landscape timbers, and as a raised bed, since our yard bears a striking resemblance to a gravel pit once you strip off a couple inches of topsoil. Still in the early planning stages, since I expect the weather to turn wintry real soon now and prevent getting started before spring.

Although I did research before we got Lummy, I've found one argument already with some information sources: cork bark was not a good hide choice - he kept taking chunks out of it. But one of the sand boas had out-grown the hide she had, so she got the cork bark. :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Prognathodon

NE Illinois
Hello, Prognathodon, i've got quite a few bits of your species lying about in my laboratory.
Welcome to the forum.
Coco coir, would be a better choice of substrate or failing that cypress mulch or orchid bark.

Eco-earth *is* coco coir. Are you thinking of one of the other name-brand substrates that's mixed stuff?

I started reading care sheets and threads here before joining, but thanks for the pointers!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Eco-earth *is* coco coir. Are you thinking of one of the other name-brand substrates that's mixed stuff?

I started reading care sheets and threads here before joining, but thanks for the pointers!
Sorry, missed the Eco-earth bit, only saw the cork stuff.
My bad.

Prognathodon

NE Illinois
No problem, I spent quite a while at PetWhatsit reading labels trying to figure out which substrate contained what when I first went looking for coco coir for my blood python.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Prog!

My substrate of choice is the small grade orchid bark.

orchid bark.jpg