New member with a substrate question

diamc

Hello all. This Friday we plan on rescuing a testudo Russian tortoise from a pet store. I have been doing a lot of research and have found conflicting info about the best substrate to use. We were planing on getting play sand & mixing it with coconut coir but tonight I was told that Russians will eat the play sand so shouldn't use that. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sand is not recommended as it can cause impaction. I would use plain dirt or just the coir. If you want to also use the sand, mix it with the coir about 20/80, 20% sand and be sure to feed him on a dish or plate so he doesn't eat off the sand.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ,USA . Great another person that knows 1955 isn't a tire size . Have a great tort day !

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I would skip the sand altogether and use a 50/50 mix of plain organic top soil (about $3 a bag) and the coir. Just don't use garden soil, it has fertilizer in it.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Also, Russians love to dig and burry themselves so it needs to be at least 5" thick.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!!

My substrate of choice is orchid bark, the small pieces. Second is cypress mulch.

diamc

Thanks for the welcomes.:) And, also for the suggestions/recommendations. Only want what is best/safest for him. Also, basking temp about 85 with other areas about 70? I've also heard temps can go down to about 50 at night although it would never be that cold inside now. We live in upstate NY so plan on making him an outside enclosure in the spring.

diamc

We picked up a brick of coconut fiber but my husband is concerned that it is too dusty and fine. This is exactly what we bought. We just want to use the safest & best substrate for him. Is this the product everyone is recommending or is there a different brand that would be better? Thanks.
Product Description
yhst-76155523453765_2269_8618968

Made of 100% all natural coconut fiber, Naturebed is extremely easy to use. Naturebed will expand in 20 to 30 minutes by simply adding water. Naturebed absorbs approximately 15 times its weight in moisture for humidity loving reptiles or it can be used for desert dwelling reptiles. Naturebed is non-toxic and odorless.

phebe121

I also use cocnut coir and yes its good easy to clean not dusty at all your soppost to mist it anyway to kerp so humidity but if you dont its just like dirt

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

diamc

diamc

Thanks phebe for the reply. Tom, the links were very helpful. I had read other info on them but these 2 seemed to have the detailed info I needed.

I do have another question about day & night temps. One site said 85 to 90 in the basking area with the rest of the enclosure about 70, is that accurate? I also read the night temp could go down to 50 but what is the recommended night temp? I do have heat emitters if needed but don't want him to be too warm. His enclosure without any night heating goes down to about 60 right now. Appreciate the help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks phebe for the reply. Tom, the links were very helpful. I had read other info on them but these 2 seemed to have the detailed info I needed.

I do have another question about day & night temps. One site said 85 to 90 in the basking area with the rest of the enclosure about 70, is that accurate? I also read the night temp could go down to 50 but what is the recommended night temp? I do have heat emitters if needed but don't want him to be too warm. His enclosure without any night heating goes down to about 60 right now. Appreciate the help.

I like a basking area of 95-100. Tapering down to whatever room temp is. Hopefully 70 ish. Might be 75-80 on the cool side in summer and 65 in winter. This is no problem since they have seasonal changes in the wild too.

This time of year they all want to hibernate. If yours remains active and eating during the day with night temps of 60, then you don't need night heat. If he digs in and shows no interest in food, night heat in combination with longer and warmer days will usually convince them its not time to hibernate.

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
Maybe not the universally preferred, but mine and her care works well with Zoo Med Repti Bark. (5 or 6 inches is best). ANOTHER good reason-it's sold EVERYWHERE: local "mom & pop pet stores", small chain pet stores, big chain pet stores, etc., thus in a pinch if you need a little extra you don't need to wait 2 weeks to get it shipped or drive halfway across the country to find your substrate. ZooMed's got a great reputation, as well.