Barbb

Hi everyone I have just joined the forum. I have a 10 month old Hermanns called Sunny. I will say him but I don't know which sex he is! Apparently you can't sex them till they are 3yrs? He is very active and has flipped himself over 4times now!!! It's always when we are out and I'm getting a bit paranoid about leaving him now! Any ideas?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome Barbb. From South Florida U.S.A.
Can you post pictures of your tortoise enclosure? I'll sure you'll receive MANY tips.
Don't forget to also show what type of lighting, etc.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello Barbb and Sunny and a big welcome to the forum.
We love pics here so are waiting on those, perhaps someone can tell then why he's flipping.
Have a look round the site for ideas and information and have some fun too.
There's some good people here who know as much about tortoises as is known.
Enjoy

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Welcome to TFO. Having them flip while your away can be deadly so be sure to post pics so we can see what he's flipping on. I have one right now living in a boring enclosure because he was flipping in EVERYTHING so I removed most of his stuff.

Barbb

Yes I have changed his enclosure quite a lot but I didn't want to make it boring! Have taken photos but can't work out how to post them.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Hello and welcome!! For pictures, If you are using your phone you can select Upload A File and choose from your photo library. It's next to the green icon that states Post Reply. I'm never on a laptop so not sure if it's the same way, I'm assuming. We'd love to see pics :)

Barbb

In on my phone but can't see an icon that states post reply! I'm rubbish at this might have to wait till I go to work tomorrow and get one of the youngsters to help me ha ha!!

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
When you type on the forum look down...you will see in Green post reply, upload a file and more options next to each other. How do you post on the forum? Don't you hit post reply? Or is there another way?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Welcome.

Tortoises are great climbers. That's probably why he's flipping. You'll need to raise the walls of the enclosure. That hide in the corner is a ladder to freedom.

Do you know the hatch date?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
He's lovely, but small. testing his strength and the new environment. Sink some of the larger rocks in a bit more and put some fake, or real plants in that he can't climb but will keep him entertained. He'll get used to his own body and the enclosure eventually. Or not, some of them seem to never learn!

Barbb

I only put the hide in a couple of days ago. It's it best to have a hide with straight sides then? The one before had straight sides but as I've never seen him flip don't know what he is doing it on!