New & need help please[emoji4]

annie17

Location (City and/or State)
england
Hi all !! This is my tortoise pumpkin, i’ve recently just got him and was told they thought he was about 25 years old, but not too sure what breed he is, was wondering if anyone could help in identifying him & telling me anything i may need to know, have had a tortoise before but it was a baby horse field and he’s moved out with my brother now but obviously they are very different ! Just wanted to know the main difference between him being an adult and yeah!

Thank you all [emoji217]
IMG_1510667945.046954.jpg IMG_6201.jpgIMG_6084.jpg

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
You have an Asia Minor Tortoise (Testudo graeca ibera) and that’s the Species often referred to as the “Ibera Greek”. Wonderful animal, really looks great and welcome to the forum.

annie17

england
You have an Asia Minor Tortoise (Testudo graeca ibera) and that’s the Species often referred to as the “Ibera Greek”. Wonderful animal, really looks great and welcome to the forum.

Thank you very much! was wondering if you could help any more, he is about 25 and i was wondering if he still needs as much heat as say a baby one would, he sleeps a lot and it concerns me as i know this time of year some tortoise hibernate and i didn’t know whether he’s used to hibernating as he’s not had a great life as he’s been passed home from home so wanna make him as happy as possible! also i hear him breathe a lot like you can hear him whistle as he likes to sniff me and his food but i can hear it vividly !

thank you again

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
If you visit my site hermannihaven.com and go to the Greek Tortoise section, you’ll see links for understanding different types. You can also then go to the Hermann’s tortoise or Marginated Tortoise section and read either care sheet that I have written for either of those species. Care for the Asia Minor tortoise is exactly the same for either of those. As for brumation (hibernation) there’s a very good chance that he is becoming inactive because this species normally would begin doing so this time of year. Despite the fact that he may have been subjected to an unnatural past, he still has a “biological clock” and instinct. This means he can still give in to those internal influences. I hope the site helps you, I do have a Greek tortoise care sheet at the top of this forum but it’s a bit outdated and I haven’t had a chance to update it. If you have any questions at all don’t hesitate to contact me through the site.

annie17

england
If you visit my site hermannihaven.com and go to the Greek Tortoise section, you’ll see links for understanding different types. You can also then go to the Hermann’s tortoise or Marginated Tortoise section and read either care sheet that I have written for either of those species. Care for the Asia Minor tortoise is exactly the same for either of those. As for brumation (hibernation) there’s a very good chance that he is becoming inactive because this species normally would begin doing so this time of year. Despite the fact that he may have been subjected to an unnatural past, he still has a “biological clock” and instinct. This means he can still give in to those internal influences. I hope the site helps you, I do have a Greek tortoise care sheet at the top of this forum but it’s a bit outdated and I haven’t had a chance to update it. If you have any questions at all don’t hesitate to contact me through the site.

thank you very much x

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Welcome! I love the name Pumpkin. That is my pet name for everything cute. I was thinking this morning how I should really have a pet named Pumpkin, but then decided it wasn't such a good idea because I would end up calling all my pets that. It's what I call Charlie every morning when I say good morning.

annie17

england
Welcome! I love the name Pumpkin. That is my pet name for everything cute. I was thinking this morning how I should really have a pet named Pumpkin, but then decided it wasn't such a good idea because I would end up calling all my pets that. It's what I call Charlie every morning when I say good morning.

i personally loved it as well, i chose it as i got him last month (october) around halloween time!! i’m glad you also love it. haha that is very funny [emoji316][emoji316][emoji316]