New & need help

charlotte23

ive recently got a horsefield tortoise and been advised not to hibernate him/her because ive only just got him.
what is the reason behind this? how do I stop him from going into hibernation?
his previous owner said she didn't use a heat lamp but did have one for him but never used it just used the uv light ive been using both heat lamp aswell as the the uv light as I see it as the heat lamp is there to be used but what temp should I let it get to? one end gets to about 29 when the heat lamp is in use and the other end is at 21 are these temps alright?

sorry for all the questions new to owning a tortoise. not sure on the age/sex of the tortoise just assuming hes a young male

12112446_717654125032868_8821024220835681900_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Charlotte, and welcome to the Forum!

We recommend keeping a new-to-you tortoise up the first year so you can become familiar with the tortoise and make sure he's healthy, eating well and has enough body weight to withstand the rigors of hibernation. Doesn't matter the age of the tortoise, just his first year with you.

You'll know much more about your tortoise by next winter.

Since he's in the house, in a habitat set up for him, as long as you keep his lights on 12 or 14 hours a day, he shouldn't realize it's time to wind down.

Here's what I use:

zoo-med-powersun-uv-mercury-vapor-uvb-lamp.jpg

this provides heat and UVB all in one bulb.

If your house is cold at night, you might consider buying one of these:

ch150.jpg

this provides heat without light.

Since your tortoise is a young tortoise, you might consider placing a few plants around inside the habitat to give him some relief from the hot glare of that light.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
What a cutie. The reason to not hibernate a new to you tortoise is that you can't know the health. Keeping them up is not that difficult. Keep him warn and bright lights. There are great care guides in the Russian section.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Welcome to the forum! What a little cutie-pie! :) He looks very alert with bright, healthy eyes -- always a good sign. Best of luck!