New Need Leopard Tortoise Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaryNichole

5 Year Member
I have an adorable leopard tort hatchling and I'm scared I'm not giving him everything he needs. The hot spot is usually around 100F and the cool side 75F to 80F. Zedenko ( my tortoise) is hardly eating the greens I give him.. Just a couple biteshere and there.. Also he seems to be breathing. Heavy ish. Any advise???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi MaryNichole and welcome to the Forum!!

All I have to offer is to suggest that you go to both the sulcata and leopard sections and read the "stickys" that we have there. Sulcata and leopard hatchlings would take pretty much the same care.

(Stickys are the important threads that are shown at the top of the section)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Based on the description two things pop into my head -

1. He is not being offered enough variety. What type of greens are you feeding him? Other foods?

2. He is not warm enough. Though, your basking spot and cool temperatures seem right on. What are you using to measure your temperatures? You may want to boost the low temperatures a bit to see if that stimulates his appetite.

There's a few other points, but to me those two things would answer a lot as to why the tortoise is not eating.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Click on the threads in my signature and see if anything strikes you.

I agree with Neal. Most often this temps or people trying to feed hay to a baby.

MaryNichole

5 Year Member
I was feeding him just chines mustard leave mixed with grass land tortoise store bought food. I went out today and bought him stuff for a little salad Banana Squash, Cucumber, kale, and cactus with powder the east bay Vivarium gave me(pictured). I also gave him a little kale to hide under which he seems to really enjoy =) I took pictures of everything. Ill be sure to look at the stickys as well. Lastly one of his little eyes doesn't open very often. (Pictured) I really appreciate the help. I feel like I might just be a worried mother hah but better safe then sorry. I just love little Zedenko so much!

Attachments

• image-488454769.png
    image-488454769.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • image-3861800885.png
    image-3861800885.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • image-2269787081.png
    image-2269787081.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • image-3927179823.png
    image-3927179823.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I can't get mine to eat very much mustard leaves at all. I believe it has a very bitter taste. It sounds like the new items you picked up are a bit better, I would also suggest spring mix and escarole as a couple of other choices.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You aren't using the coil type bulbs right? If so, get rid of them, they have been known to cause eye problems. Use a mercury vapor bulb or a tube type fluorescent UVB and ceramic heat emitters for heat but no light.

BTW, Hello and Welcome:)

MaryNichole

5 Year Member
I'm using a blacklight bulb and a uv bulb from the pet store but my room is lit with those ones.
Thanks for the advice and the welcome everyone ☺

treefrog1

5 Year Member
MaryNichole said:
I have an adorable leopard tort hatchling and I'm scared I'm not giving him everything he needs. The hot spot is usually around 100F and the cool side 75F to 80F. Zedenko ( my tortoise) is hardly eating the greens I give him.. Just a couple biteshere and there.. Also he seems to be breathing. Heavy ish. Any advise???

Mary, first and formost, the breeder or the place you got your tort from is the best place to seek advice. However, how old is the hatchling and what was it eating before you got it? soaking is very important. 1 1/2" of luke warm water for 30 minutes every other day. Use non city water if possible. Well water or store bought spring water. Temp is a touch high 94 is good for the hot spot.

MaryNichole

5 Year Member
I got him in a pet store so I'm not sure how he was eating before. He seems to be livening up a little. And I have been soaking him as well. It's seems to really stress him out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.