New orchid bark

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hard to tell from what I see in the picture, but if it is fir bark and no additives, it should be fine. It looks like it is, but the translation to English is probably not completely and literally, appropriate as it appears to say Pine bark. It looks like fir bark and should be good. It does look like what we get as "Medium" grade, which is a bit larger pieces than I prefer. I always go for the "Fine" grade. Simply because it lays down better and makes a smoother surface for a smaller tortoise to walk on.

When you post, if you could also include information about your tortoise - type and size, that can also help in giving advice. For example...
"Does this look good for a 4" sulcata in an indoor enclosure?"

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, it's too big. You want fir bark with smaller chunks.

And like Mark says, "corteza de pina" may translate to "pine" not fir.

Fe-2470

Is pine bad then? I have a 4 year old hermanns tortoise about 15-20 cm long.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't feel that I can make a recommendation one way or the other on this product based on the current info.

Pine is not good to use, but it does look like fir bark. The grade is a bit too coarse for my liking too, but that shouldn't be dangerous. Is it mislabeled? I don't know.

Question is, why risk it? Use something known to be safe.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You don't want to use a product made for wood with aromatic oils. It is harmful to the tortoise.

Fe-2470

I've just spent £22 on that and i go on holiday on Friday my auntie and cousins are looking after her for two weeks will it harm her? I would preferably want to finish the bag then change the type of bedding, could that do any serious damage?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Too bad about the money, but a trip to the vet because the oils in the pine were harmful to your tortoise's eyes would probably be a lot more costly, to say nothing about the poor tortoise's eyes.

From the Tortoise Trust web site:

"Cedar or Pine chips/shavings

Highly toxic when heated, emit noxious fumes. Serious risk of impaction if ingested. Avoid!"

Fe-2470

I have spoken to the dealer (who is also a reptile dealer) and they said that they use it for many reptiles including there tortoises. Is there any such thing as pine bark with no bad oils?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
All I know is what I would or wouldn't do, and I wouldn't use it. I just now asked my friend Google to translate, and 'corteza de pino' translates: pine bark.

Fe-2470

It might be pine bark but it is pine bark without any oils or toxins. Could my 4 year old sleep outside in warm weather?