Orchid bark

LeeB60

Location (City and/or State)
Neola Ut
What does fine orchid bark look like? Is there one brand better than the others.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
There is fine and course. Fine is roughly 1/4 chip size of course. Use fine for small young reptiles and course for larger. I use course as it is mess free and speedy likes it.

I suggest you search on line and you will see the difference.
Note: As this is also used to grow orchid plants ensure you buy larger bags WITHOUT additional plant nutrition!
Uk example.....

Last edited:

LeeB60

Neola Ut
There is fine and course. Fine is roughly 1/4 chip size of course. Use fine for small young reptiles and course for larger. I use course as it is mess free and speedy likes it.

I suggest you search on line and you will see the difference.
Note: As this is also used to grow orchid plants ensure you buy larger bags WITHOUT additional plant nutrition!
Uk example.....
So would I use the fine for this guy or the larger? I just don't want to make anymore mistakes. I've made enough!20220731_182128.jpg20220731_182212.jpg

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I think course but a mix 50/50 would work fine. Make it nice and deep and use my hand to shape a dent for water and food dishes. I use an old cooking fish slide to mix it up and re distribute daily. Get a water sprayer to wet daily but not saturate. I change mine after 3 to 4 months and if you see poo remove and clean and stones, hides etc.. more frequently. Enjoy

LeeB60

Neola Ut
Why not use both. How large is your enclosure? Is course or fine cheaper? Id mix a few bags of both types.
Thank you very much. That's what I was thinking. His enclosure isn't really big. I'm trying to find someone to build me a tortoise table that's not real expensive. Again thank you.

LeeB60

Neola Ut
I think course but a mix 50/50 would work fine. Make it nice and deep and use my hand to shape a dent for water and food dishes. I use an old cooking fish slide to mix it up and re distribute daily. Get a water sprayer to wet daily but not saturate. I change mine after 3 to 4 months and if you see poo remove and clean and stones, hides etc.. more frequently. Enjoy
Thank you this helps a lot. I was thinking of rehoming him because I keep finding out I'm doing the wrong things for him. But I really am in love with the little Feller.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Thank you very much. That's what I was thinking. His enclosure isn't really big. I'm trying to find someone to build me a tortoise table that's not real expensive. Again thank you.

Some people do DIY by finding a bookshelf at a thrift store. Lay it down flat, remove the shelves, line the bottom against moisture, and that should give you the size you need...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thank you. I can probably order it from the one in Salt Lake online. Where I am there isn't a whole lot of anything, LOL
It's good stuff.
It's available in a few different sized bags. But buy THAT one. The POTTING MEDIA. It's pure.
There's another called POTTING MIX. It contains other items.