New Outdoor Diamondback territory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
An "inground" is not an option.. so I had to get creative above!

Progress so far is coming along fine.. I over-did it so I doubt I will do much today.... these old bones are stiff this morning! Sure is nice to get out and be active with a new project since spring is finally here.

It's 140 gallons.... had to drain it because it had a pin-hole leak around the drainplug - baling and siphoning *ugh*.. best now than later! A little black plastic garden "edging" cut to size [ as patch ] and silicone in a tube does the trick.

The sandbox idea to set it in was told to me by a guy I just happened to meet at Lowe's. About 4" of sand [ once ground is reasonably landscaped level ].. and as you fill the tub you simply "squirm/nestle" it and you can watch it settle-in level! Simply amazing!

First "frame-in" -

framed.jpg

Got creative with jigsaw -

firstbase.jpg

basecomplete.jpg

They seem to really like the "floormat" ramp [ same idea indoors ].. it will have supports underneath the mat which extends the ramp out at about a 45* angle - great grip and it 'scrubs' the sand off when they go back into the water!

rampconcept.jpg

There will be ( 2 ) adjoining nest-boxes.. plenty of space to bask as needed.

Basic idea for nest-boxes -

nestboxbasicsetup.jpg

Next comes the "cage-over" to predator-proof it. Plan to have hinged lids with canopy to keep the water temps down - it's basically in the direct sun.
The temps are still unseasonably warm.. still in the low 50's at best at night.. so glad it's starting to warm.

She must know I'm building something for them.. ( he doesn't care - he's just..... "in love"! ).. she seems anxious to get outdoors..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Kaf6dRiF0

See I'm not totally goofy!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looking good. Don't forget pics when they are out enjoying your labor. Oh and ya you are goofy, you have the shelled family members. I think it is a curse we lucky ones get to enjoy:p:D

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
How's the pump and filter coming ? Looking good.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
You're doing pretty good for an "old geezer", don't forget to put a couple drain holes in the nesting boxes,and maybe putting a hose on the drain that comes out past the side of the enclosure, I did this on a winter tub (like yours) and would do a trickle water change to help keep it clean, but in your case it may be a way to keep the water cool.I had to get a 1/2 inch pipe thread to a garden hose adapter, and it worked for what I needed to do.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Wow! Looks really nice. Love the sandbox idea. Bo is really annoying, I feel for her.

LindaF

5 Year Member
What type of filter do you use? Your set up looks great! Can't wait to see what it is like when you are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.