New owner, does my Sulcata have a neurological disorder?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm not sure I'm in love with this light fixture setup I have to regulate heat. I have 1 200w fixture with a 100w mercury vapor bulb and another 250w fixture with a 150w (I think) CHE. What is a better solution with a thermostat to regulate heat that won't break the bank?

I see that mercury vapor bulbs are not ideal, but because I completely built the wrong habitat I'm going to have to prioritize the corrections as I can't afford to re-do it all at once right now.
Replace the mercury vapor bulb with a 65 watt incandescent flood bulb from the hard ware store. Adjust the height of the basking bulb according to what your thermometer says when directly under the heat lamp for an hour. Move the basking fixture over to one side and hang the CHE over the middle. Put the probe from your new thermostat over on the side with no heating elements or bulbs, and hang it down low just out of tortoise reach.

For UV, take the tortoise outside and give it access to sunshine in a safe outdoor enclosure. Make sure there is always shade available. Do this for an hour or two, two or three times a week. Soak after sunning. You can buy a UV bulb in the fall when temps begin to cool and taking him outside isn't as easy.

ccjcc81

Houston, TX
BTW, thank you all for the advice and recommendations. I have ordered the thermometers and hygrometers. I've replaced his substrate with something more suitable. I think we'll be ok.

Rynan

Southern California
What an educational read. Thanks everyone. I'm still doing the prep work before actually getting a tortoise. All of these posts have been so helpful.

ccjcc81

Houston, TX
What a great improvement in his enclosure! :)

To regulate the heat, you need to put the CHE on a thermostat, so it only comes on as needed, and shuts off when the temp is a bit above the set value. There are many kinds/brands, but I use a Zilla. Mine isn't digital, but here's a nice one. It's good to have more than one plug in on it...you might need a 2nd heat source down the line. You could plug both into the same t'stat (just don't exceed 1000 watts!)

For UVB, you want this:

The problem is that they are backordered everywhere. If you can find one, you want the 24" fixture, which takes a 22" bulb. You would need the 12% or 14%...not 6%.

When you are able to replace the merc vapor, you'll want to get an incandescent flood bulb...notice, flood, not spot. Try a 65 watt first, and raise or lower the bulb to get the right temp.

I don't know how long he will be able to stay in his new enclosure. Maybe you could start planning for the future by figuring out how you could double the width from 2 ft to 4 ft. You could make "doorways" for him to go from one side to the other side. They're smart...they learn things like that very quickly.
Petsmart's website states they have that light in stock, so I went ahead and ordered it. Should be here tomorrow. Thanks again!