Baby Leopard odd movement

Status
Not open for further replies.

c_ronic

5 Year Member
Hello all,

This is my first post. My girlfriend bought me a baby Leopard tortoise about a month ago. I have everything down pat as far as perfect living conditions (I read a lot here and around the net). But im worried about this odd movement Sheldon (thats his name) makes. He kind of moves his head up and down repeatedly and moves his arms and legs in and out over and over. He does it all the time! He seems perfectly healthy. I was just wondering if this was normal?

Thanks.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I may be mistaken, but to me it sounds like your describing their normal method of breathing. :)

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Completely normal!! A lot of torts, especially babies (because it's more noticable I think) do it. They have no diaphragm for breathing, so they use their legs like billows to breathe sometimes....Not all torts do it, but some do. :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They pump their legs like that for breathing. ( think of bellows)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi c_ronic:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

and may we know appx where in the world you are?

c_ronic

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info guys and gals. I am relieved that its normal. You can call me by my user name, that would be easiest! I live in south florida, ft.lauderdale to be exact. Thanks again for the kind and quick help! Looking forward to more reading/creating posts and gathering knowledge from you experts.

-Chronic

Status
Not open for further replies.