New owner - help!!

mush89

Location (City and/or State)
Essex
Hi,

I have recently became an owner of a 4 yr old hermann tortoise. I’m a little worried about his shell, I think he may have been over fed which has led to I think it’s called pyramiding?

IMG_3722.jpg

Apart from cutting his food, is there anything I can do to help this??

Thank you.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Hi,

I have recently became an owner of a 4 yr old hermann tortoise. I’m a little worried about his shell, I think he may have been over fed which has led to I think it’s called pyramiding?

View attachment 251612

Apart from cutting his food, is there anything I can do to help this??

Thank you.

Overfeeding is not the culprit. Dry conditions are. Extreme dry conditions are the cause of pyramiding. The damage is already done. You can prevent further pyramiding by raising the humidity level of your enclosure. 50-70% is a good percentage for Hermanns.

Tortoises will instinctively stop eating when they're satisfied. There is no need to withhold food from them.

mush89

Essex
Overfeeding is not the culprit. Dry conditions are. Extreme dry conditions are the cause of pyramiding. The damage is already done. You can prevent further pyramiding by raising the humidity level of your enclosure. 50-70% is a good percentage for Hermanns.

Tortoises will instinctively stop eating when they're satisfied. There is no need to withhold food from them.

Okay. Thank you, I was told earlier today it was over feeding and I’ve been worrying since. I’ll look in to the humidity of his enclosue.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Yes, he / she was most likely raised dry. Don't worry, mild pyramiding is only aesthetically displeasing, and won't harm your tortoise!

Just keep up the humidity, as Minority2 stated.

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome fro the other side of the Thames in Kent :)

Humidity is the key to growing a smooth shell. Photos of your enclosure and lighting will help us to help you.

I recommend you read the care sheets that are written by TFO species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Hermann's care sheet
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Okay. Thank you, I was told earlier today it was over feeding and I’ve been worrying since. I’ll look in to the humidity of his enclosue.

The person that told you this should not relied upon for tortoise advice. Many breeders, pet shop owners, and veterinarians will often give outdated care information because they don't follow or keep up with the newest research and discoveries in tortoise care.

This is a care sheet for Russian which will also work for Hermanns. I didn't include the sticky thread on Hermann care because I personally disagree with using substrate materials such as vermiculite and sand which can easily stick onto foods causing impaction in tortoises:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

mush89

Essex
Hello and welcome fro the other side of the Thames in Kent :)

Humidity is the key to growing a smooth shell. Photos of your enclosure and lighting will help us to help you.

I recommend you read the care sheets that are written by TFO species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Hermann's care sheet
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

Thank you! I’ll have a read of those.

Photos of the enclosure are attached. We got him yesterday, I feel so unorganised and such a bad tortoise Mum [emoji85] I‘m going shopping tomorrow for all his bits, I got some top soil today. Please let me know if I need to change anything or anything that I need to get.

IMG_3731.jpgIMG_3732.jpg

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi Mush, I’m in Ipswich, not far from you!

Here is what I would do:

I would change the substrate to Fine grade orchid bark. You can buy it in pets at home or Jolly’s pets it’s about £6

I would get rid of the top soil and also the straw. Orchid bark all over, make it nice and deep in the hide area.

I would go get a terracotta saucer for about 50p from a garden centre as the water dish.

Get a nice flat piece of slate to put under the basking light.

What light are you using? Is is an MVB? What are your temperatures? Invest in a IR temperature gun. They are about £15 on Amazon- amazing things!

I would also add some plants and maybe some sight barriers to help make it feel bigger for he tortoise.

Here is a pic of mine:

IMG_3162.jpg