New Owner!! HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squirt58

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
tortoise.pngHello! I am hoping that someone can help me with my new Sulcata. I am actually babysitting him for my boyfriends sister until she can find a good apartment. I am experienced with geckos, beardies and snakes because we have many of them but not a tortoise! I have read through many care sheets on this form and on http://www.sulcata-station.org. I am doing so much research because I want her to understand how much she is taking on with this tortoise. She bought it for her son who is about 3 years of age. I have already contacted some of our local feed shops to search for proper grasses and hay for him to eat and to find some cuttlebones.
She bought him at a petstore, he is just a baby. They set her up with a 20 gallon tank with Alfalfa pellets (which isnt a good substrate I know.) and Kaytee bedding (like what bunnies eat) They sold her a fixture and a normal basking light (100 watt) I put one of my extra thermometers in there to make sure it doesn't get over 85-90 inside his cage. They only gave her calcium powder, gell for his shell and some Nature Bites for Tortoises. The only real activity he has is a bridge which is about two inches off of the ground and he fell off earlier, thank god I was here and I took it out of his cage. He seems to be burrowing under the hay.
I was just hoping someone could help me out with his setup and write a list for her, I personally don't this she knows what she got herself into, nor do I know how this baby is going to be with children picking him up and making him "walk". I just want him to be healthy is all.

Thankyou!!

Last edited by a moderator:

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Oh, boy... well type in the search bar sulcata care sheet. There are lots of reading materials here. You got rid of the pellets right? Humidity needs to be 80* ...and basking temp needs to be 95-100..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Squirt58!

You should read the "Important Threads" that are shown at the top of the Sulcata Section. There is a care sheet in there for baby sulcatas. Your substrate isn't right, its old school. We have the most current care instructions here on the forum, and most of them can be found at the top of the Sulcata Section.

Happy Reading!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome :) Thank you for doing the work, your boyfriends sister should have done. It's too bad pet stores always give the worst information possible:( there are also some great reading for raising sulcatas at the bottom of my post. Good luck and I hope you can get her to raise him/her right.

Squirt58

5 Year Member
New York
I just read through all of your posts and they're great. I actually an extra had cypress mulch bedding, and made him a humidity box, and sprayed down his tank but once I put him into his new little tank he started eating it! Is it okay for him to be eating the cypress mulch?!!?

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
welcome to TFO! read a lot of older posts about caresheets on sulcatas and you will be fine!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
no, he should not be eating the mulch. If he is,, he needs more food and better diet...
i see some major issues.. Im glad you are here to learn..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. There is a bunch of info for you in my signature. I like the sulcata station for some info, but disagree with some of it too. I think some of their info is outdated and current ongoing research with my own animals backs this up.

Is your light bulb one of those colored infrared reptile bulbs? If so, that might be why he's trying to eat the mulch.

Are you soaking daily? Babies need this.

Good luck, and keep asking lots of questions.

Squirt58

5 Year Member
New York
He doesn't have an infrared bulb or anything. Its a simple basking bulb, which I told her needs to be changed to a uva uvb bulb for him. I have been soaking him every morning, he doesn't seem to like it, just sits there thinking about going out. But we take him out every night and let him run around, right after posting the thing about him eating the mulch he stopped. We put some fresh kale in there for him to snack on. Also, would anyone know where to get the different kinds of weeds? Would they be in a normal grocery store, or should I head over to the local feed store?

Status
Not open for further replies.