New sulcata owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

semog

5 Year Member
I have recently rescued a Sulcata. She was found by a creek here in Oklahoma. I have her in my garage in a baby pen so 8x4 encloser. I have Timothy hay on the gound a box with an opening for her hidy hole and have been feeding her turnip greens,kale and carrots daily. Also have a 100 watt heat lamp for her. Today was the first day she pooped and she seems to be eating and is now walking around. I want her to have the best I can but also can't spend a fortune. What are the essential things I need for her? Also winter is coming here soon so the garage will be her home all winter. I see some people let theirs roam in the house, do they not get lost? I need some major help. I have been reading and researching but still feel overwhelmed.

Oh ad she is 8-10 inches bug and I have no idea how old she is. Any clues how to guess age?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She needs water 24/7 and if you get cold winters heat for in the garage. A bigger variety of food, check out the tortoisetable.org for edible food items. Also, if you can't let her outside for a few hours 3-4 times a week then she also needs a UVB light. The mercury vapor bulb will work best. Gives light, heat and uv.

Oh, and wondering around a house is not suggested and not the best enclosure you can give.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...8-10 inches...depends on how she was taken care of. Have you checked with neighbors to see if anyone has lost a tortoise? Can you post a pic? So that we can be sure what type of tortoise it is? If it is a sulcata it is possible to keep in your garage. I would look into a heat mat, pig blanket.look on craigs list. Under my signature there are some links please read them. I would guess he/she would be around 5 years old. If you can take a pic of the entire bottom of he/she shell...

semog

5 Year Member
She was brought into my pet store that I work at. I did post on Craigslist a found tort post. ImageUploadedByTortForum1378988707.571746.jpg ill get more pics today of her.

Here are some more pics of herImageUploadedByTortForum1378991097.209043.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378991108.946120.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378991130.109764.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378991142.650855.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378991160.810757.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
What I gorgeous Sulcata! I have one that was brought to the veterinary hospital I work for back in July. Bad beak injury. Never found owners, posted everywhere and I searched for postings.
So he's mine and I plan to keep him forever.

He lives outside during day, inside at night. I'm still figuring out indoor enclosure for winter. But he actually enjoys exploring the house, so I'm experimenting with areas for him and UV lights for basking.

Do you plan to keep her if no owners claim her! If not, I'd take her in a heartbeat. I'm looking for an adult Sulcata. Not for breeding. I just want another adult. I have the space.
My brother-in-law lives in Tulsa and could get her.

..but I suspect you are getting attached already. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][GROWING HEART]

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
She's beautiful alright. There is a little pyramiding though. Sullies need warm temps all year around. If your garage is heated and you have a heat blanket, she'll be fine. For winter, you may want to get some orchard grass/hay or Timothy hay since sulcata's diet should be about 70% grass/hay. Btw, I would be careful having a small child sleep on the floor where the tort had been because of salmonella transfer. Oh, and water soaks, and water dish, and did I say water? It is so important for them to keep hydrated especially during winter months. Reading Tom's threads on sulcata care will be very helpful in keeping sulcatas healthy and happy.

semog

5 Year Member
Oh he wasn't asleep just talking to her. I think it's a her? We have a friend who may get her into the zoo but my 3 yr old already loves her so not sure what we are gonna do. Our garage stays pretty warm and we have a radiator heater in there for the cats at night so I can just run that to keep temps up. Is a 100 watt bulb hit enough? I'm going to get a UVB bulb just have to wait for payday lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.