New Owner

disorca

Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, NY
Hello everyone! I am a new owner to a 14 week old Russian Tortoise and she's great so far. I did some research before adopting her but I am learning on the go. I am currently soaking her 3 times a week, have two temp zones in the habitiat, feed her mixed greens etc, have a nice biding spot I built , also a climbing spot. I plan on getting her a bigger habitat once she grows a couple of inches. I have an infrared ceramic bulb heating one side to about 92-99 degrees, a cooler side in the low 70s. I plan on contributing and learning from this community!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome!
Looking forward to hopefully seeing pics of your new baby and his enclosure.
The Enclosures thread has lots of great ideas for giving torts safe and happy homes.

disorca

Long Island, NY
Hi and welcome!
Looking forward to hopefully seeing pics of your new baby and his enclosure.
The Enclosures thread has lots of great ideas for giving torts safe and happy homes.

Thanks, I will post a couple pictures when I get home tonight.

So far I have a glass enclosure (I know they are not preferred) but will upgrade to a nicer one when she get bigger. She seems very happy , climbing over everything, digging, and eating lol. I'm going to put a background around the tank so she doesn't try to walk through the class. I let her roam around my den for an hour yesterday, she is very fast

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks, I will post a couple pictures when I get home tonight.

So far I have a glass enclosure (I know they are not preferred) but will upgrade to a nicer one when she get bigger. She seems very happy , climbing over everything, digging, and eating lol. I'm going to put a background around the tank so she doesn't try to walk through the class. I let her roam around my den for an hour yesterday, she is very fast
From what I have read I think vivs are preferred to open tables because they hold the heat and humidity better, as long as they have plenty of floor space for the wandering beasties. Be careful with the den walking because they will eat absolutely everything from dust balls and pins to socks and plastic bags there have been some expensive and sad stories told here!! Now he knows there's a bigger world out there he may well spend a lot of time trying to get out to it!!! Yes - they are faster than you think, take your eyes off them for a minute and they are gone!! :)

disorca

Long Island, NY
I am looking into building a more open type of enclosure that is bigger. I really do not like the glass enclosure tank type, neither does the turtle if she could talk! lol btw, her name is Ava