New owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

questionablecow

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I got a juvenile Sulcata some days ago from a rescue society here in Arizona and I've got two quick questions for you experienced Sulcata owners.

First: My Sulcata seems to "hiccup" when it's just sitting there. His head just kind of bumps up and he closes his eyes. I don't know if he's bothered by bugs (He lives outside in the sideyard) or if something else is bothering him. Is that normal?

Second: I keep reading about the warm Sulcatas and at first the tortoise would come to me and would go about his business when I was around, but the past two days he's been incredibly timid and almost afraid of me. When he sees me he hides in his shell or runs to a corner, and won't move for a good while (this morning for about an hour.) I let him graze so I don't think he knows I provide all his food, and he doesn't trust me enough to eat the flowers and fruit I've offered. Is there anything I can do to get him to like me and not think I'm a predator? He was just fine when my parents brought him into the house yesterday and it seems it's only me he's afraid of.

Thanks,

cow

evin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
manteca, Ca
does his mouth open when hes bobbing his head? sounds like he could just be breathing hard because hes scared, and i can only think that something mayber have happend to him a few nights ago to scare him. there are alot more experienced owners on here, but if hes still eats well and is active i wouldnt worry too much just keep an eye on him

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Cow, how big is this juvenile? If you are new to the sully give him some time. Just spend some time near him and talk softly so he knows you are there. He will warm up in time.

questionablecow

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
He's about 5 inches. He eats a lot during the cooler times of the day and walks around or hides when it's 100+ so he should be fine. Upon closer inspection he does open his mouth, so you're right about the breathing hard. I've been hanging around him and bringing him inside to interact with him when it's really hot out, but he still hides from me most of the time.

Thanks for alll the helpful and quick responses!

Would it be best to just let him be and not bother him much or should I make a point of trying to be near him and have him acknowledge me?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
At 5 inches he's still a baby. He is eating and exploring and when it gets 100+ he needs to hide and get out of the heat. In the wild they would dig down to where the humidity is up and the temps are down. Hiding is a natural instinct for him. And right now he still thinks of you as a preditor. It will take time for him to warm up to being around you. Even if he is hiding he can still hear you. I do not think you need to try and have him acknowledge you. Because at that point he would probably just pull into his shell. When he is open mouth breathing is this when it is really hot or all the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.