Sulcata with attitude!

Ann Stonely

5 Year Member
So I have a hatchling sulcata. Does anyone else have an attitude problem when you feed them something they dont want? His name is Hiccup and if he doesn't get his favorite he literally stomps around looking directly at me and kicks turf all over his food! Kinda cute but could it mean a problem with what Im feeding him?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't have a sulcata, but it sounds like you have a normal and typical sully. Good luck with that attitude when he's much bigger:eek::p:D

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Ha ! Ha ! :D I don't know if it really is "attitude" Speedy has always marched across or through his food , don't ask me why ? He just doesn't go around anything , he will go over it or push it aside ! :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Lol. What are you feeding him? Variety is key, no matter how big the fit.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
to be honest I've never known one not to have an attitude

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is not attitude…

Some breeders do not take the time to introduce enough diversity in the diet early on. This leads to tortoises that appear to be "picky" to their new owners. They aren't picky, they just don't recognize what is being offered as food. Tortoises are creatures of habit. They need to be slowly and gradually introduced to new foods over time.

Have you read these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Mary <3

That is so funny your tort is named Hiccup!! We almost went with that name. Very unusual and super cute. Our baby lays in her food dish and eats. She TOTALLY trashes her water dish. But I take that as a good sign that she's always around/in in water. She gets daily soaks and I find her soaking herself in her water dish.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
So I have a hatchling sulcata. Does anyone else have an attitude problem when you feed them something they dont want? His name is Hiccup and if he doesn't get his favorite he literally stomps around looking directly at me and kicks turf all over his food! Kinda cute but could it mean a problem with what Im feeding him?

A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

I think that torts need time to adapt to a new place, environment, owner enclosure and the rest. Other torts (lime OLI - my beloved tort) are somewhat picky on food. ;) Don't panic, you'll get the help you need.:D

Love the name of your tort, and would love to see a pic of him. :)

Ann Stonely

5 Year Member
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

I think that torts need time to adapt to a new place, environment, owner enclosure and the rest. Other torts (lime OLI - my beloved tort) are somewhat picky on food. ;) Don't panic, you'll get the help you need.:D

Love the name of your tort, and would love to see a pic of him. :)
Hiccup is doing well, still has an attitude! Just installed the grass today. He has been growing with spring mix and various treats. I figured he is big enough to start grazing now. He doesnt know how he feels about it. I picked him up and put him there for tge pics lol20180225_163516.jpg20180225_163552.jpg20180225_163618.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hiccup is doing well, still has an attitude! Just installed the grass today. He has been growing with spring mix and various treats. I figured he is big enough to start grazing now. He doesnt know how he feels about it. I picked him up and put him there for tge pics lo

Installed the grass? Is that sod? If not, read no more. If it is sod, then you need to know that sod is not meant to be lived on or eaten by animals. It is meant to look pretty, be weed and bug free, and it is full of insecticides, fertilizers, herbicides and other stuff, in addition to the plastic netting they grow it on. Sod should never be used under a tortoise, except in the case of a lawn that has been outside in the weather for a couple of years or more. Even then you have to worry about the netting because it will eventually be exposed one way or another.

Also, that water bowl is too dangerous for tortoises. It is a flipping and drowning hazard. I never want to see that tragedy again, so I try to warn people whenever I see those in use.

Ann Stonely

5 Year Member
Installed the grass? Is that sod? If not, read no more. If it is sod, then you need to know that sod is not meant to be lived on or eaten by animals. It is meant to look pretty, be weed and bug free, and it is full of insecticides, fertilizers, herbicides and other stuff, in addition to the plastic netting they grow it on. Sod should never be used under a tortoise, except in the case of a lawn that has been outside in the weather for a couple of years or more. Even then you have to worry about the netting because it will eventually be exposed one way or another.

Also, that water bowl is too dangerous for tortoises. It is a flipping and drowning hazard. I never want to see that tragedy again, so I try to warn people whenever I see those in use.
It is sod, from a local grower. I was assured there were no dangerous chemicals. And thoroughly rinsed it just to be sure. The water dish has rocks in it for that very reason. He cant flip in it and we check on him frequently. Do you know what type light is best? There are different uv lights and I don't want him getting burnt! I am looking for a bulb not tube

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is sod, from a local grower. I was assured there were no dangerous chemicals. And thoroughly rinsed it just to be sure. The water dish has rocks in it for that very reason. He cant flip in it and we check on him frequently. Do you know what type light is best? There are different uv lights and I don't want him getting burnt! I am looking for a bulb not tube
Lucky find on chemical free locally grown sod. I've never come across that here.

The rocks don't help that water bowl. The sides are still too tall and too steep, for an animal that lives in a rigid shell. Its physics. They need a water source that is flush with the ground, shallow and with sides that aren't too steep. A terra cotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate will be much safer and more effective, and they are cheap.

Why would you need a UV bulb in his outdoor enclosure? He should only be out there in fair weather and a bulb won't help in cold weather anyway.

Ann Stonely

5 Year Member
Lucky find on chemical free locally grown sod. I've never come across that here.

The rocks don't help that water bowl. The sides are still too tall and too steep, for an animal that lives in a rigid shell. Its physics. They need a water source that is flush with the ground, shallow and with sides that aren't too steep. A terra cotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate will be much safer and more effective, and they are cheap.

Why would you need a UV bulb in his outdoor enclosure? He should only be out there in fair weather and a bulb won't help in cold weather anyway.
This is indoors and because we have a shaded balcony the windows dont provide much sun. I was skeptical about the sod myself. The lady said it had no pesticides and only natural fertilzer...i guess that means cow ****!!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

2wgasa

5 Year Member
Carlsbad, CA
I was skeptical about the sod myself. The lady said it had no pesticides and only natural fertilzer...i guess that means cow ****!!

Your grass appears to be the same stuff I used to learn if Bomber* would eat St. Augustine. If it is then there's no mesh in it because you're supposed to cut use the flat to plant plugs. I didn't even think to ask about pesticides, which I never use in the yard, but way too late now. I just planted the entire flat (one piece) in his nighttime enclosure nearby his sunbathing spot before he's let loose on the rest of the yard. It grows quickly and he does eat it in a pinch (along with a new pest gopher) although I think he prefers trying to find any Bermuda or clover. I do have a small area that was sodded a couple of years ago and Tom is correct about that mesh that never deteriorates. Bomber pulled some up and now have to be on the lookout for it. Local feed store has Bermuda hay that they let me scavenge because i don't have anywhere to store a bale yet. I tried all the other hays and this is the one he'll eat. Maybe it's sweet. I haven't tried it myself.

Where in world are you?

*Started taking care of him a little over year ago. Was told that he was 11. After lurking on this forum for past year realized I should have asked more questions about him. Previous owner said he cost $700 so I suspect he was already large. I think he was for the young kids who probably lost interest. You started this post 2 years ago so you already know more about them than I, therefore, no advice.

Ann Stonely

5 Year Member
Your grass appears to be the same stuff I used to learn if Bomber* would eat St. Augustine. If it is then there's no mesh in it because you're supposed to cut use the flat to plant plugs. I didn't even think to ask about pesticides, which I never use in the yard, but way too late now. I just planted the entire flat (one piece) in his nighttime enclosure nearby his sunbathing spot before he's let loose on the rest of the yard. It grows quickly and he does eat it in a pinch (along with a new pest gopher) although I think he prefers trying to find any Bermuda or clover. I do have a small area that was sodded a couple of years ago and Tom is correct about that mesh that never deteriorates. Bomber pulled some up and now have to be on the lookout for it. Local feed store has Bermuda hay that they let me scavenge because i don't have anywhere to store a bale yet. I tried all the other hays and this is the one he'll eat. Maybe it's sweet. I haven't tried it myself.

Where in world are you?

*Started taking care of him a little over year ago. Was told that he was 11. After lurking on this forum for past year realized I should have asked more questions about him. Previous owner said he cost $700 so I suspect he was already large. I think he was for the young kids who probably lost interest. You started this post 2 years ago so you already know more about them than I, therefore, no advice.
Lol I am not sure if there is mesh in there or not hiccup was a hatchling two years ago and now he is about 5 inches long and 3 1/2 wide. I am not worried about mesh as he is checked on many times a day. I am out in the death valley desert 50 miles from las vegas. Hiccup is still bird bait, he wont get to live outside for a few more years. Once I am confident my big dogs cant hurt him then he can live outside. Which gives me a lot of time to build the perfect enclosure.

I do have a question about the hay eating. Mine has tried but he doesnt chew it up. He swallows the whole straw long ways. It was disturbing so I went back to chopped greens and added the grass so he could learn to graze.

2wgasa

5 Year Member
Carlsbad, CA
Once I am confident my big dogs cant hurt him then he can live outside. Which gives me a lot of time to build the perfect enclosure.

I do have a question about the hay eating. Mine has tried but he doesnt chew it up. He swallows the whole straw long ways. It was disturbing so I went back to chopped greens and added the grass so he could learn to graze.

I think you will soon get advice on both. We have 3 large, geriatric golden retrievers and then my granddaughter's small black terrier that's here 15 days per month. Must have been dumb luck that none of them even pay attention to Bomber unless they have to move to get out of the way or I've given something to Bomber they like such as pumpkin, bok choy or zucchini. Unfortunately, they also enjoy the Mazuri 5M21 pellets so Bomber gets those in the morning before he's let loose. I was given advice after I first posted to not let the dogs use him as a chew toy, pact mentality and all that, which won't happen with this group. HOWEVER, since that initial warning I've had two other senior golden fosters come through, individually, that I had to send to different families. They were each obsessed with Bomber and it was very obvious and completely different behavior. We've even suspended fostering until/unless I figure something out..I don't have a 10 acre ranch. Anyway, I've seen posted pictures with dogs out with the torts, so I suppose each situation has to be assessed individually. I hope it works out with your dogs.

I don't think I see anything that is the same as chewing. It's more like a giant bite and swallowing. Sometimes rubs his mouth against his leg to break it up. Bermuda hay I get is finer and seems shorter than orchard or timothy, for example. Maybe that why he prefers Bermuda to eat and Orchard to hide under in his night box. BTW, I was also warned about their inclination to try to eat anything. I once found him with what appeared to be a piece of plastic stuck to his mouth. When I started pulling it kept coming so I did it slowly. He had swallowed the torn off top of a timothy hay package. It must have been 10 inches long and an inch wide, all intact therefore no chewing. I have not seen him try anything else but it did smell like food so I guess it was fair game. (He almost tasted my big toe once after I had walked through some wet grass.) Maybe somebody already started a "What did your tortoise try to eat today?" thread.

Lastly, we didn't name him Bomber. He came with it. My wife calls him Bombom and he seems to respond. I'd have name him King Tut for his pyramids. My wife also says I'm too wordy, so my apology.

Ann Stonely

5 Year Member
I think you will soon get advice on both. We have 3 large, geriatric golden retrievers and then my granddaughter's small black terrier that's here 15 days per month. Must have been dumb luck that none of them even pay attention to Bomber unless they have to move to get out of the way or I've given something to Bomber they like such as pumpkin, bok choy or zucchini. Unfortunately, they also enjoy the Mazuri 5M21 pellets so Bomber gets those in the morning before he's let loose. I was given advice after I first posted to not let the dogs use him as a chew toy, pact mentality and all that, which won't happen with this group. HOWEVER, since that initial warning I've had two other senior golden fosters come through, individually, that I had to send to different families. They were each obsessed with Bomber and it was very obvious and completely different behavior. We've even suspended fostering until/unless I figure something out..I don't have a 10 acre ranch. Anyway, I've seen posted pictures with dogs out with the torts, so I suppose each situation has to be assessed individually. I hope it works out with your dogs.

I don't think I see anything that is the same as chewing. It's more like a giant bite and swallowing. Sometimes rubs his mouth against his leg to break it up. Bermuda hay I get is finer and seems shorter than orchard or timothy, for example. Maybe that why he prefers Bermuda to eat and Orchard to hide under in his night box. BTW, I was also warned about their inclination to try to eat anything. I once found him with what appeared to be a piece of plastic stuck to his mouth. When I started pulling it kept coming so I did it slowly. He had swallowed the torn off top of a timothy hay package. It must have been 10 inches long and an inch wide, all intact therefore no chewing. I have not seen him try anything else but it did smell like food so I guess it was fair game. (He almost tasted my big toe once after I had walked through some wet grass.) Maybe somebody already started a "What did your tortoise try to eat today?" thread.

Lastly, we didn't name him Bomber. He came with it. My wife calls him Bombom and he seems to respond. I'd have name him King Tut for his pyramids. My wife also says I'm too wordy, so my apology.
Love this story! I have a pack of 4 dogs. A Rottweiler that loves watching Hiccup walk around but seems content just watching. A Cocker Spaniel that is not interested at all. An English bulldog mix who wants to eat Hiccups grass, and an obsessive pit/beagle mix that wants to be up in Hiccups face and butt with his nose! No one has ever tried to paw or nip, but we dont let them walk around together unsupervised.