New Pancake tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandrix

5 Year Member
So I'm getting a new pancake tortoise from the east bay vivarium, I'm new to the reptile world and I'm not sure how to go about this. I already have a habitat for it and I've done ALOT of research. I'm just worried that I'll do something wrong:( . I'm getting a hatchling by the way. :tort:

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Find out what temps they've been keeping it at, and what food they've been feeding. This helps with the transition by you mimicking those numbers and diet.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
If it is a hatchling make sure you can give him or her a nice humid tank, if not capable of keeping the humidity up in the whole tank then offer them a humid hide they can go in, keep it on the warm side, you can try to make a cool one, but they might no go in it.

mrlax

5 Year Member
San Francisco, CA
I actually have a pancake from the EB vivarium too- one of last years hatchlings which I got just about this time of year. He's done great on a diet of primarily wheat grass, dandelions greens, spineless cactus, Zoo Med grass land mix, petunias and other organic flowers, and a few other odds and ends. We bathe him every day for 15 min or so, and also have an outdoor enclosure for sun when the temps are OK outside. We keep the enclosure between 78-100 in the 'hot spot', and have several hides. This tort LOVES to hide out and climb! Our humidity is around 40-60% consistently, sometime higher. He's gone from 24 grams to almost 200 grams- not sure if this is normal growth for a yearling, but he seems happy, healthy, and his shell seems nice as well...Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.