New property on the Imperial River

T Smart

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
~ The last few days i have been digging out and cutting up old downed trees that were in the rivers flow way. They have been dead and downed for many years based on how deep they were impacted in the dirt and the overgrowth that was around them. I generally try and go over in the evenings from 6:30pm to 8:30pm when the sun is not so brutal and the rain schedule allows. One thing i can say is that hard work keeps me strong and alert since retirement. Many of the neighbors comment how unbelievable the property looks after i have cleaned it up. Always see wildlife, canoe people and lately many rafters because of the rain water flow out into the gulf.

View attachment 246305 View attachment 246307 View attachment 246308 View attachment 246309 View attachment 246310 View attachment 246311

This property is beautiful! Truly a wonderful place to keep tortoises.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I look forward to seeing it! My husband was sending me your utube links before he knew I was on the TFO [emoji23]

~ Thank you, i will share pictures and info during the process. Being on the river and in the city has codes and rules that may be challenging. The location is fantastic and ideal for our tortoises, however some of the neighbors are very disrespectful. We have had issues with trespassing, stealing and illegal dumping. Where we are located now seems like better people, however once the perimeter wall and things are more established it should stop. Seems like the local law enforcement is very relaxed and local politics are biased against the upper middle class. We are currently in the planning and designing stages.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
~ Thank you, i will share pictures and info during the process. Being on the river and in the city has codes and rules that may be challenging. The location is fantastic and ideal for our tortoises, however some of the neighbors are very disrespectful. We have had issues with trespassing, stealing and illegal dumping. Where we are located now seems like better people, however once the perimeter wall and things are more established it should stop. Seems like the local law enforcement is very relaxed and local politics are biased against the upper middle class. We are currently in the planning and designing stages.

I never saw a lot of respect when I visited Florida.. I believe it is a "new generation" area and the law caters to it.. You and your wife have a beautiful operation and I'm sure it is appreciated by many. Hopefully people in the area will help you protect everything.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I never saw a lot of respect when I visited Florida.. I believe it is a "new generation"

~ I have been in public service all my life (LEO) and never really noticed things like i do now that i am retired. I think you are right about the new generation, however seems like the older generations are trending towards the same ways. I also think it is partially reflective of all the different cultures migrating to our country, things are simply not the same for several reasons.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
September 2018
~ One of the dogs (Dixie) decided to jump the fence and run outside of the property lines the other day when we were mowing. Decided to patch the low spot, the old fence is simply rotting away. This fence will eventually be totally removed, however we want it somewhat secure until the new construction starts.

~ Basically been keeping it mowed and killing off all the missed exotics. It has been a year since the Hurricane Irma, the trees all look healthy now and growing again. The property was infested with air potato vines, cats eye vines, pepper hedge and giant saw grass. Dug most out, however since the rainy season, what i missed has grown and easily killed.

~ Tons of wild rabbits, extremely healthy population on the property.

IMG_8505.JPG IMG_8513.JPG IMG_8514.JPG IMG_8518.JPG
IMG_8511.JPG IMG_8508.JPG

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you have a timeline and start date for the build?
Your plans are too move everyone including yourselves to this site, correct? Selling your other place? Not trying to keep and run to locations.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Do you have a timeline and start date for the build?

~ As soon as possible. This property is zoned agricultural, however is governed by several sources. It is in the City limits (historical district), in the Lee county, the river is governed by DEP and (some other ?), and they all have codes, rules, guidelines, etc. that seem to conflict. Our biggest obstacles are the offsets for fencing, they are terrible. We need to get a few variances. One issue is the building codes require a retention pond if you have a detached garage that is bigger than 24 x 40. The one we were planning on was 30 x 80 (Four bays and a room dedicated to our hatchlings and incubators. We need a 1000 gallon propane tank (buried) for our back up generator system, all three governing sources can not agree where it can be placed because of the river. The boat slip was existing and needs to be moved to be conducive to our overall dock plan, etc. and it seems no one knows how to direct us to get permission for that. The primary residence is going to be three stories and exceeds the overall height limits by 1.5'. It boils down to money and hiring an engineering firm to get these things ironed out. We also will need a litigation firm to argue the actual variances that are required by the City. Not complicated, just time consuming. One issue with this big of a project is coordination and scheduling, especially when more than one contractor is involved. A flow way (mean high water line) survey is required for every aspect of this project because of the river, and is only good for one year. This determines all the offsets, etc. It seems complicated, however it is simply jumping thru the hoops and money.