4th of July Fire

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Just wondering if a metal roof over would have saved the shed? You might consider that. Maybe even metal siding too.
That's an interesting subject. Especially when dealing with fireworks. They have an extremely high temperature. Even the little sparklers, I heard, are 1000°f. What would be safe for a shed roof from the fireworks of neighbors?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
That's an interesting subject. Especially when dealing with fireworks. They have an extremely high temperature. Even the little sparklers, I heard, are 1000°f. What would be safe for a shed roof from the fireworks of neighbors?
Outlaw commercially available fireworks, and crack down on violators. Fireworks should only be handled by licensed professionals (years ago I was one). At the very least a permit should be required demonstrating knowledge of how to properly shoot them. Class C fireworks, those available to the public, are often just as explosive as professional fireworks. One gram of black powder can make the difference.

Usually I am against more regulations and government interference in our lives, but the frequency of these "accidents" is appalling.

Off my soap box...Gus, I'm so sorry this happened to you. 🥺

AmandaF

Congresbury
Well while we were out, someone must have been using illegal fireworks. Long story short, our neighbor called and told me that there was a small fire on our property. He was able to put it out as it was mainly contained. But it had partially burned down one of my sheds. I asked which one, as I have a few of them on the property. It was the one that I had converted into a tortoise room. Well after assessing the damages, I lost 5 Burmese stars, 8 radiated, and 2 Egyptians. They were all in closed chambers inside, some succumbed to burns and others must have died because of the smoke or excess heat since they didn’t show any signs of burns. Some of the ones in the shed did survive the fire though.

All of adults were untouched and safe. The ones that perished were either babies or juvenile adults.
That is awful, I'm so sorry to hear that Amanda

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Outlaw commercially available fireworks, and crack down on violators. Fireworks should only be handled by licensed professionals (years ago I was one). At the very least a permit should be required demonstrating knowledge of how to properly shoot them. Class C fireworks, those available to the public, are often just as explosive as professional fireworks. One gram of black powder can make the difference.

Usually I am against more regulations and government interference in our lives, but the frequency of these "accidents" is appalling.

Off my soap box...Gus, I'm so sorry this happened to you. 🥺
I agree. I have a neighbor that's still setting off fireworks down the street and the 4th is long past. He's been doing that even before the 4th. Personally my pets and I are sick of hearing bombs and war sounds. I thought we won and all that ended.