Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

chadk said:
Ancient Egyptians.

You are starting to take lessons from dmmj :p

CELLMASS said:
wow thanks for nothing

Pyramiding in Sulcata or Leopards is mostly visual as big towers or peaks instead of a smooth carapace. This from GBTortoises...Very pronounced rings are formed within the scute itself but actual pyramiding of whole scutes are unlined by pyramided bone.

Do some research around the site and you can see pictures of the visual part of pyramiding. The scutes grow tall instead of smooth. If I had more time I would post pictures for you, but I don't right now. But if you found pictures of Taco that's Stephanie Logan's you can see a good example of pyramiding...

K

KenG

I'm curious as to why no one has brought up the old standbys for pyramiding: too much protein, not enough sunlight/fiber/calcium, etc.? Am I just too new to the forum, or have the data changed?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
KenG said:
I'm curious as to why no one has brought up the old standbys for pyramiding: too much protein, not enough sunlight/fiber/calcium, etc.? Am I just too new to the forum, or have the data changed?

Oh boy are you late to the party!!!:p

In 2007 Richard Fife published some experiments he did, basically proving that pyramiding is caused by growth in the absence of enough humidity. Here on the mainland, all of us have been frustrated for decades as we were doing everything "right", but all of our torts pyramided anyway. I'll bet pyramiding isn't much of a problem where you are unless they are raised indoors, in the A/C, under hot lights on a dry substrate. Am I right? Here are a couple of links for you to check out:
http://www.ivorytortoise.com/information/documents/pyramiding_in_tortoises.html
http://africantortoise.com/_sulcatadiet2.pdf

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm as taken with this idea as Maggie is. It makes complete sense to me.

For those of you who want to see how Vicky keeps her tortoises, this link is to the first picture in her group of pictures:

http://africantortoise.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=148

There are other folks' pictures in there too, but start with this link and continue clicking on "next" to see all of Vicky's pictures.

moswen2

5 Year Member
this is very, very, very interesting maggie, as i have read a few threads on this forum about people posting pictures of their babies, and someone says "looks like a bit of pyrimiding" and the person with the baby says "really? i have a humid hide and i keep moist substrate" so i was beginning to think it had something more to do with moisture in the air, not just one particular place in their enclosure where the baby never goes... VERY interesting! i love new information! i was that nerd in school who was always the only one in class that smiled when the teacher said those two dreaded words... "research paper"...!! very good to know maggie! thank you. when i get home i'm going to see what i can do about this, as moswen did come to me with a bit of pyramiding.

Status
Not open for further replies.