New red foot mommy

kjturtlegirl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Chicago Suburb
Hello! My husband got me a red footed tortoise and I'm not sure how old he (or she) is. I know he's a baby because he's sooooo tiny! I have previously owned a 3 toed box turtle and was told that the red foot has similar habitat needs and diet needs. Is this true? I have been looking around for any and all advice because I want to be a good tortoise mommy I am going to attempt to add some pictures. How soon before I can tell the sex of my little one? I have named him Wendell because he has a bubble letter looking "w" on top of his cute little head. I hope it stays while he grows.
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464672021.880894.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464672042.745927.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464672068.366384.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464672080.868099.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464672112.965720.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hello! My husband got me a red footed tortoise and I'm not sure how old he (or she) is. I know he's a baby because he's sooooo tiny! I have previously owned a 3 toed box turtle and was told that the red foot has similar habitat needs and diet needs. Is this true? I have been looking around for any and all advice because I want to be a good tortoise mommy I am going to attempt to add some pictures. How soon before I can tell the sex of my little one? I have named him Wendell because he has a bubble letter looking "w" on top of his cute little head. I hope it stays while he grows.
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance
View attachment 175582View attachment 175583View attachment 175584View attachment 175585View attachment 175586
He's cute, plenty of clover and dandilions for him too, mine also love the dandy flowers.
What are the white granules in the substrate?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome!
I'm also curious about the white granules.
They look like they could be fertilizer pellets, etc.
If so, I'd remove it right away and go over to orchid bark.
strangely, my Redfoot refuse to eat dandelion.

kjturtlegirl

5 Year Member
South Chicago Suburb
The white stuff are chia seeds. No way would I have fertilizer in there! Thanks for asking though. Here's an updated picture of his place and you can see the seeds have sprouted. I add more every few days to keep it growing continuously. He likes to munch it ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464702128.035876.jpg

kjturtlegirl

5 Year Member
South Chicago Suburb
Is there any way to tell how old my little one is? I'm wondering if he still has his egg tooth?!? Is that what that little bump under his nares is? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464705517.566298.jpgI want to care for him the best way possible so any links, advice on habitat needs etc. would be appreciated. He has been eating well. Various greens, he loves the red lettuces in the spring mix bags, and he's had some tomato, clover and dandelion flowers as well as a blueberry or two and he likes chia greens. I haven't given him any animal protein yet only because idk how old they should be to have it.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Animal protein, I think I read 6-8 months is a good starting point? Might be more dependent on size than actual age, though. They mature at different rates, you could have a 4 month old that is the same size as an 8 month old. You could have an older tort barely approaching sexual maturity and a younger tort that is already humping rocks on the daily. Huge variation.

Beautiful baby. :)

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
By the way, your enclosure looks gorgeous. I've never fed chia sprouts so I don't know anything about their nutritional value, but they do make the enclosure look amazing.

My only advice is to maybe get a shelter that doesn't decay. With high humidity, wooden items in the enclosure can rot quickly. In my experience the log shelter quickly became springtail central within months. They aren't harmful, but if you're creeped out by little bugs you could try a shelter that isn't organic.

kjturtlegirl

5 Year Member
South Chicago Suburb
Thanks, Jockma for your response and complements! The chia sprouts are fast growing and I figure they help with humidity. I finally got to talk with the person my husband got him from and he says my Wendell in no older than 3 months old! I wish I would've known I was getting him so I could've been better prepared. I just hope I can keep him healthy and growing well.