New red foot need help with enclosure

mojo_1

Location (City and/or State)
Saint Clairsville OH
I was wondering how did you do your lights in your enclosure? I checked out the enclosures on the website of animal plastic. I could switch to a heat panel instead of a CHE but how do you do your uvb light and make sure it’s the right distance
It's roughly 20" from mojo's shell. I mounted it right to the top. I adjust the bark level a little bit to keep the uv rays in range. It would probably be easier to hang it from some small chains so you can adjust it as needed for uv strength. With a new 12% bulb it's in the higher range of the required uvb zone right now.

HLG

Wisconsin
It's roughly 20" from mojo's shell. I mounted it right to the top. I adjust the bark level a little bit to keep the uv rays in range. It would probably be easier to hang it from some small chains so you can adjust it as needed for uv strength. With a new 12% bulb it's in the higher range of the required uvb zone right now.
Ahhhh ok. So did you drill holes in the top of the enclosure to mount the light? Wondering if I should do that with the chains. Do you use the heat panels? If so do you use one for each side or does one work fine for the whole enclosure?

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Ahhhh ok. So did you drill holes in the top of the enclosure to mount the light? Wondering if I should do that with the chains. Do you use the heat panels? If so do you use one for each side or does one work fine for the whole enclosure?
No I used short screws that didn't poke through the top. I also use 2 CHE's on separate thermostat controllers. I maintain 83-84°

Reactions: HLG

HLG

Wisconsin
No I used short screws that didn't poke through the top. I also use 2 CHE's on separate thermostat controllers. I maintain 83-84°
I’m purchasing her new enclosure so I wanna make sure I get the right one. I remember you said 4x2x2. Does it need to be 2 tall to help with the lights or could I go shorter?

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
I’m purchasing her new enclosure so I wanna make sure I get the right one. I remember you said 4x2x2. Does it need to be 2 tall to help with the lights or could I go shorter?
The CHE's can't be that close to the tortoise. And the closer the uvb light is to the tortoise the stronger it is so if you went with a 1ft tall one after adding roughly 3" of substrate plus the light fixtures to the top of the tortoise shell will be around 6" the 12% uvb bulb will almost be the equivalent of putting the tort on the sun so you would probably need a 5 or 6% uvb

HLG

Wisconsin
The CHE's can't be that close to the tortoise. And the closer the uvb light is to the tortoise the stronger it is so if you went with a 1ft tall one after adding roughly 3" of substrate plus the light fixtures to the top of the tortoise shell will be around 6" the 12% uvb bulb will almost be the equivalent of putting the tort on the sun so you would probably need a 5 or 6% uvb
Thank you for breaking it down. I assumed it was due to lights

HLG

Wisconsin
I was curious if you ever have your tortoise outside? I want to build her an enclosure for outdoors for this summer. I’m in Wisconsin so our summers are nice. Is it ok to leave the grass in her enclosure? It doesn’t have any pesticides or anything on it. Also just wondering if I have to worry about the humidity for her while outside too?

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
I was curious if you ever have your tortoise outside? I want to build her an enclosure for outdoors for this summer. I’m in Wisconsin so our summers are nice. Is it ok to leave the grass in her enclosure? It doesn’t have any pesticides or anything on it. Also just wondering if I have to worry about the humidity for her while outside too?
Adult redfoots can go outside in the summer during the day. Adults can handle the swing in temp and humidity better than hatchlings. Also you could setup a misting hose in the torts area outside to raise the humidity. To answer your question about my tort, no not yet I haven't. He’s almost a year old.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
To leave the grass is fine. You'll need dense shaded areas (low growing plants like ferns with a second shade layer from trees, walls, bushes). Enclosure will need an over top fencing to protect from birds and other predators. And watch out for fire ants (if you have these). Mister, sprinkler and a muddy puddle will help with humidity. However, a young tortoise should be outside for a limited time only - from 15-30 minutes to an hour. After that he will need a good soaking and stay in the enclosure. As he grows, time outside can be extended.

HLG

Wisconsin
To leave the grass is fine. You'll need dense shaded areas (low growing plants like ferns with a second shade layer from trees, walls, bushes). Enclosure will need an over top fencing to protect from birds and other predators. And watch out for fire ants (if you have these). Mister, sprinkler and a muddy puddle will help with humidity. However, a young tortoise should be outside for a limited time only - from 15-30 minutes to an hour. After that he will need a good soaking and stay in the enclosure. As he grows, time outside can be extended.
I have the fencing to go over the top. I planned on putting out a soaking spot for her. She will be 8 months come the summer time so I will make sure to only leave her out for a short time. Is it once they hit 2 years that they are good to spend more time outside?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I have the fencing to go over the top. I planned on putting out a soaking spot for her. She will be 8 months come the summer time so I will make sure to only leave her out for a short time. Is it once they hit 2 years that they are good to spend more time outside?
You can gradually increase time as she grows in size, not age. Much depends on what your climate is. @ZEROPILOT could share when he let his tortoises to live outside full time. But he is in Florida - climate there is almost ideal for redfoots.

HLG

Wisconsin
You can gradually increase time as she grows in size, not age. Much depends on what your climate is. @ZEROPILOT could share when he let his tortoises to live outside full time. But he is in Florida - climate there is almost ideal for redfoots.
Thank you, in Wisconsin our summers can get pretty humid but it is only for 2-3 months

HLG

Wisconsin
odd question but I’ve noticed the past couple days she has been pooping in her hides. When I soak her she does go as well and I normally don’t find any in her enclosure. Just wondering if this is a normal behavior or if she’s doing it because of something. I also found a small amount of some whiteish colored looking slime in her enclosure. It was only a little but I’m hoping this is normal. Figured I would reach out and ask before starting a new convo.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hi! Runny stool is not normal, but not scary. Few possible reasons are:
1. Indigestion because of low temperatures.
2. Diet related - too many watery or laxative foods such as cucumber, fruit, aloe, cactus pads with lack of fiber (leafy greens).
3. Intestinal parasites like flagellates (need to do a fecal test at vet).

HLG

Wisconsin
Hi! Runny stool is not normal, but not scary. Few possible reasons are:
1. Indigestion because of low temperatures.
2. Diet related - too many watery or laxative foods such as cucumber, fruit, aloe, cactus pads with lack of fiber (leafy greens).
3. Intestinal parasites like flagellates (need to do a fecal test at vet).
Her stool hasn’t been runny she has just been going in her hide which was a new behavior for her. After reading more on the forum the running slime stuff I found sounds like urates. And maybe I need to soak her more?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Her stool hasn’t been runny she has just been going in her hide which was a new behavior for her. After reading more on the forum the running slime stuff I found sounds like urates. And maybe I need to soak her more?
I am not an expert...but Layla has a paint roller pan for her soaking tub...every morning she generally soaks herself, but if I haven't seen her soak I put her in clean warm water anyway. I soak every day...that's what I was taught and this is the resultDSCN2428.JPG
Layla is 3 this year and is 7 inches...my cats all watch her when she's in the tub...DSCN2405.JPGthis is my favorite photo of Layla...it's her opinion of an empty food dishDSCN2247.JPG

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
The thing is that redfoots don't pass urates. This is something exceptional if they form them at all. Urates are somewhat an adaptation to dry environments where you have less chances to die from a bladder stone than from dehydration.

White stuff is more likely to be indigested food, cuttlefish bone or eggs...

So if her stool is firm and regular I would not worry. But keep an eye if white stuff appears again. As for the "new behaviour".. Longer soaks should help.

HLG

Wisconsin
I am not an expert...but Layla has a paint roller pan for her soaking tub...every morning she generally soaks herself, but if I haven't seen her soak I put her in clean warm water anyway. I soak every day...that's what I was taught and this is the resultView attachment 368861
Layla is 3 this year and is 7 inches...my cats all watch her when she's in the tub...View attachment 368862this is my favorite photo of Layla...it's her opinion of an empty food dishView attachment 368863
Thank you

HLG

Wisconsin
The thing is that redfoots don't pass urates. This is something exceptional if they form them at all. Urates are somewhat an adaptation to dry environments where you have less chances to die from a bladder stone than from dehydration.

White stuff is more likely to be indigested food, cuttlefish bone or eggs...

So if her stool is firm and regular I would not worry. But keep an eye if white stuff appears again. As for the "new behaviour".. Longer soaks should help.
Ahhhhh thank you. I didn’t know they don’t pass them but that’s why I wanted to ask right here since you all have been so great in helping me and I’ve learned a lot. I did give her hard boiled egg for the first time so that is probably the white stuff. I will keep an eye on it and will do the longer soaks.

By chance is there a guide on the average size for a red foot female on here? I feel like our girl is on the small side

HLG

Wisconsin
I am not an expert...but Layla has a paint roller pan for her soaking tub...every morning she generally soaks herself, but if I haven't seen her soak I put her in clean warm water anyway. I soak every day...that's what I was taught and this is the resultView attachment 368861
Layla is 3 this year and is 7 inches...my cats all watch her when she's in the tub...View attachment 368862this is my favorite photo of Layla...it's her opinion of an empty food dishView attachment 368863
O my girl is just turning 7 months but I would say stool looks similar